Oct 24, 2013

At least the rugs are cleaned and house smells fresh

An early morning phone call yesterday had diverted me away from my normal routine and so I was somewhat behind in what I had planned to accomplish; including taking a shower. I skipped ahead on my list of things to do and decided that I would take a shower a bit later in the morning.

When I went down the basement stairs to take a shower, my nose picked up a strong “fresh” scent. My first thought was that Cathy must have installed a new Glade® PlugIns® Scented Oil refill in the Family Room. When I looked at the Glade® warmer, I noticed that it was in fact in need of a new refill. “Where was the smell coming from?” I wondered to myself.

Actually, I asked the question out loud but I thought that if I had mentioned it you would have questioned my sanity…

I went into the laundry room next door and was a bit surprised to discover where this now intoxicating scent was coming from. The 2¾ gallon container of liquid laundry detergent that is normally on shelf next to the washing machine was now lying on the bath mat just outside of the shower; perhaps trying to clean itself up!

My deduction is that at some point between when Cathy took her shower at five thirty in the morning and when I was about to take mine at ten o’clock, not only did the large bottle take a jump off the shelf, but it also proceeded to break off the cap and spilled approximately 1½ gallons of gooey, sticky laundry detergent on the carpeting.

Makes me wonder what had happened after she left the room.

I grabbed some old bath towels and began the process of sopping up the liquid detergent; which included repeatedly rinsing the soapy towels in a large bucket of clean water as I kneeled in the liquid goo; spending at least a half hour at this task. I then threw the towels into the washing machine (without detergent I might add), and stepped into the shower.
 
What I hadn’t expected was my feet slipping as I stepped into the shower; feet that had a film of liquid soap on them. All my ice skating reflexes from playing hockey kicked in and I was able to catch myself before I took a dive. 

After I took my shower, I went up to the third floor closet and grabbed a couple of box fans to bring down to the basement to plug them in to try to dry off the now wet carpet.

Having personally cleaned up so many different messes that were solids, liquids, and other unmentionables over the years, I saw this mess as a mere inconvenience to my schedule that was already way behind.

What helped me with this perspective is realizing that as bad as I have it, there is always someone who has it worse. In fact, earlier in the morning, I had read that International Justice Mission News reported that thirty five (35) enslaved girls (ages 14 to 18 yrs) were rescued from slavery in a thread-making factory in India.
http://web.ijm.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=28983.0&dlv_id=28223

I really didn’t have anything to complain about. It really was a matter of perspective. At least the rugs are cleaned and house smells fresh!

In the Bible, the Apostle Paul writes on this subject of thinking of things that are good, not focusing on the bad. He wrote to the Church in Philippi:
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” (Philippians 4:8 NKJV)

I’m not sure where you are at when you are reading this, but it is my sincere hope that you will stop and count your blessings as you too try to clean up a mess in your life. Give it to God and let Him work things together for good (see Romans 8:28).

When you turn to Him, you will find His mercy fresh and new waiting for you. Great is His faithfulness; in that we can place our hope!

Are you ready to get your mess cleaned up? Have you tried to clean up your life with no success? Are you tired of trying to do it your way? Call 1-888-NEED –HIM; someone is waiting to talk with you.

New King James Version (NKJV)  The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment