Oct 17, 2013

Please Hurry Back

The phone rang just before dinner. Cathy answered it and said; “Did you want to talk with grandpa? Here he is…” and then quickly handed the phone to me. On the other end was my granddaughter Fallon; her voice sounded sad.

“I miss you grandpa…”; she said sniffing back her tears as my heart sank. We spoke a bit about what she did and what she was going to have for supper. The phone reminded me of when my own children were young and would call me at work.
Fallon

After a short while Fallon handed the phone back to her mom (my daughter Elizabeth) who explained that all day Fallon had said that she had missed Cathy and I and wanted to talk to me.

Cathy and I had told Fallon and Gavin that we would be gone when they woke up and that soon we would be see them again. But, comforting words only last a short while when you are separated from someone you love and long to be with.

The night before Cathy and I had babysat Fallon and her brother Gavin and we had left their house when the parents came home after Fallon and Gavin had fallen asleep. When they awoke the next morning and we were gone, Fallon became sad because she missed us.

Simply put, Fallon, as much as she loved her family, wanted the next time that we got together to be now and not some distant time in the future (even if it would be in a week). For her she didn’t want to have to be kept waiting too long until we were once again together.

The sadness Fallon felt at our separation is something that Jesus knew that His disciples would feel after He departed this earth until He comes back once again. During the “Last Supper” He said; I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:3 NKJV)

Jesus told them that He would be gone for a short while and that soon they would see Him again. But, comforting words only last a short while when you are separated from someone you love and long to be with. And His disciples were troubled in their hearts.

As much as I love to spend time with my children, grandchildren, Cathy, and many friends (some whom I’ve yet to meet!), there is still a longing in my heart for the Day when Jesus returns. The day when the injustice in this world comes to an end the scales are balanced.

In the meantime, like Fallon, I let Jesus know that I’d like Him to hurry back because I miss Him; especially because I can’t see Him. And I tell Him:
“I've made up my mind to wait for You now, I don't know the time, don't know the place. But when I say Please don't keep us waiting too long; we’ve no lasting city this side of Heaven. Please don't keep us waiting too long, cause things aren't looking to pretty this side of Heaven….” (From “This Side of Heaven” by Phil Keaggy)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment