Mar 13, 2014

What Amazes You?

On Feb. 15 in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, hockey fans across the world gathered to watch USA vs. Russia. At the end of regulation time, the game went into overtime. Amazing! 
 
At the end of overtime, the game went into a shoot-out in which teams continue shooting in "sudden death" mode and the game cannot end until each team has taken the same number of shots.
 
The shootout went to eight rounds during which USA hockey player T. J. Oshie's four shootout goals lifted the United States to a 3-2 win over Russia.  What an amazing way to end a game!
 
After that game, whenever I dialoged about it with fans from USA and from Canada, the response was always the same; “amazing!”
 
And do you want to know what is even more amazing than that? T. J. Oshie scores this type of shoot-out goals on a regular basis during the hockey season in the NHL and has one of the highest rates of shootout success among the American-born players. Amazing!
 
So what amazes you? Is it something that is “permanent” like a sculpture or a tall building? Is it something temporal like a cloud formation, a sunset, a flower, or even a great meal? Is it something that goes beyond your human understanding like the vastness of an ever-expanding universe?
 
How about an infinite God with infinite attributes? King David (in the Bible) writes in Psalm 139 about the amazing God who made us and who loves us so very deeply. David writes;
 O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it.” (Psalm 139:1-6)

He goes on;
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand!” (Psalm 139:17-18a)

So what amazes you? Let yourself be in awe today as you consider the amazing, awesomeness and greatness of God! Stand, sit, knee today in His presence!
 
Lord I’m Amazed by You!

No comments:

Post a Comment