Sep 6, 2018

My Father's Eyes

I’m sure that you’ve seen the commercial telling us; “This one is for real!”

A man with massive bags under his eyes uses Plexaderm and gets amazing results in just minutes. The product is applied and the skin around his eyes transforms and it really looks great.

The commercial says that Plexaderm uses silicate minerals from shale clay to form a temporary tightening layer on your skin. This invisible layer works to visibly tighten and lift crow’s feet and wrinkles surrounding your eyes in minutes.

We are told that Plexaderm smooths skin surrounding under-eye bags, making them shrink from view in minutes. While the results of Plexaderm are not permanent, they say; “You'll love the way you look after your very first use!”

Personally, I’ve lived most of my adult life with bags under my eyes and never thought I could do a thing about it.

I blame it on the “German” genes that run in my family since most of my brothers also have large bags under their eyes.

And over the years I have met other people who are of German descent who also have bags under their eyes and they seem to be getting through life just fine.

For the most part it, it really doesn’t bother me; except when I travel. It’s a problem because sometimes the bags under my eyes are so large that the airlines charge me extra for the additional bags! Ok, that part is an exaggeration!

What is a “problem” for me is when I am officiating a wedding, most couples will pose for a photo with me. Later, when I look at the photo, the bags are the only thing that I see.

I am hoping that the happy couple can look past the bags and still treasure their special day. Or that their photographer is able to do wonders using Photoshop!

When some of my adult children are tired, they too will have bags under their eyes.

Whenever I see the bags under the eyes of one of my beautiful daughters; I wish that they could have had their mother’s “Norwegian” eyes.

Instead, sometimes, they have their father’s eyes; which in this case is “bad”.

But other times, saying that they have their father’s eyes can be good.

Hopefully, some of the time, it will mean that my children see broken people (like I do) and are able to minister to them.

Hopefully, some of the time, it will mean that my children are able to find the good in things, when good is not around.

Or meaning that their eyes are able to find the source of help, when help would not be found.

It is a compliment to say that their eyes are full of compassion, seeing every pain that knows what people are going through, and feeling it the same.

Just like their father's eyes.

But when all is done and said, I hope that when people say about my children that they “have their father’s eyes”, it will be referring to their Heavenly Father.

He alone is the One who is able to see the deep needs of others; beyond what they first appear to need.

It is when we look through His eyes of grace that we are able to truly see hope for other people’s situations.

The Father uses the Holy Spirit to pour out His fresh oil to heal our eyes. This invisible layer works to move our eyes to be focused on the needs of others instead of on ourselves.

While the results of Plexaderm are not permanent, the deep work of the Holy Spirit IS life changing!

“You'll love the way you look at others after your very first use!”

That’s my hope for my children, grandchildren, Cathy, and myself. That each of us will be known by others as having our Heavenly Father’s eyes.

Eyes that see the best and believe the best!

Eyes that are moved when others come across our paths.

Eyes that see the reality, yet still can see beyond the disfunction in order to bring hope to those who are hurting.

That others will say; “He had His Father’s eyes!”

Father's Eyes by Gary Chapman

I may not be every mother's dream for her little girl,
And my face may not grace the mind of everyone in the world.
But that's all right, as long as I can have one wish I pray:
When people look inside my life, I want to hear them say,

She's got her father's eyes,
Her father's eyes;
Eyes that find the good in things,
When good is not around;
Eyes that find the source of help,
When help just can't be found;
Eyes full of compassion,
Seeing every pain;
Knowing what you're going through
And feeling it the same.
Just like my father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
Just like my father's eyes.

And on that day when we will pay for all the deeds we have done,
Good and bad they'll all be had to see by everyone.
And when you're called to stand and tell just what you saw in me,
More than anything I know, I want your words to be,

She had her father's eyes,
Her father's eyes;
Eyes that found the good in things,
When good was not around;
Eyes that found the source of help,
When help would not be found;
Eyes full of compassion,
Seeing every pain;
Knowing what you're going through,
And feeling it the same.
Just like my father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
Just like my father's eyes.
My father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
Just like my father's eyes.

Songwriters: Gary Winthur Chapman
Father's Eyes lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Capitol Christian Music Group



No comments:

Post a Comment