Sep 13, 2018

The Lies We Tell Ourselves


In the 1960’s, there was a popular children’s song that went like this:

       Nobody loves me 
       Everybody hates me 
       I think I’ll go eat worms
      
       Big fat juicy ones
       Little tiny skinny ones
       I'm gonna eat some worms
     
       Chop off the heads 
       Suck out the guts
       I'm gonna eat some worms

That is supposed to be a children’s song???

And parents all around the world have taught it to their children thinking that kind of repetitive mantra would help their little ones…do what…???

What is wrong with you people? Who was the person who wrote this song and then said; “Hey, what a great song! I am going to teach it to children…”???

When I was young, it was bad enough that children sang it. But in my case, those words were sung TO me; not by me. Usually it was sung TO me when ever I was melancholy and feeling as though I was all by myself in the world, which is really strange because I came from a very large family.

You see it’s one thing if I am singing is as a ditty because I’m feeling sorry for myself.

It’s quite another thing when the song was sung TO me because I REALLY felt as though no one loved me.

I was thinking of the song as I pondered two recent encounters that brought to light how deep that belief of no one loving has run in my life. It is a root that I constantly have to pull up in order to not walk in a spirit of rejection; something that I have struggled with my whole life.

The first encounter happened to me at a wedding I had officiated. At the reception, one of the groomsmen came up to me and asked if he could take a photograph with me.

It must be a joke; right? Why would someone want to come up to me a take a photo with me? 

Man, that root shows it ugly shoots very quickly at times!

My immediate response to him was; “Are you serious?”

A woman who turned out to be his wife, answered my question; “Yes, he is serious. He asked me if I would take a photo of the two of you.”

I looked at the groomsmen who was shaking his head “yes”, put my arm around him, and said; “cheese”. My heart was filled with love. We spent the next several minutes conversing about music, and guitars. It turns out we live about eight blocks from each other….

The second encounter took place at a birthday party for my grandchildren. Both sides of the family were in attendance; including my daughter-in-law’s grandfather.

I spent some time in conversation with him catching up with the events that took place in both of our families over the past year. I was amazed that he remembered so much about who I was, where I lived, and what I did.

Several times throughout the rest of the day he would ask another question as I was going through the room where the party was taking place.

The joy of his presence and conversation was overshadowed by his loss of hearing, which made it difficult at times for him to hear me.

At the end of the party, I heard him ask; “Where’s Tom?”

I assumed that he was referring to my daughter-in-law’s brother; who was his grandson and went on with the conversation that I was in.

My daughter-in-law found me and said; “My grandpa wants to say ‘goodbye’ to you. He said that he wants to say ‘goodbye’ to Tom before he goes.”

I went to find him and was surprised to see his big smile and hand extended towards me. “I was looking for you”; he said to me. I extended my hand towards his and received his firm handshake.

Two encounters of people wanting to be with ME that I almost missed because of the root that tries to grow up and choke out the life that I was created to live.

I was loved! I had believed a lie that I wasn’t loved! Good thing that I didn’t follow through and eat the worms!

My friend, have you also believed the lie that you weren’t loved? Have you lived long enough entangled by the root of rejection? Have you eaten your fill of worms?


Don’t go through any more believing that you are not loved; YOU ARE LOVED!

       “Instead of your shame you shall have double honor,
        And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion.
        Therefore in their land they shall possess double;
        Everlasting joy shall be theirs.” (Isaiah 61:7)

My friend, we live in a broken, sinful world that is so far away from how God created it to be. Read Genesis chapters 1 & 2 before things got messed up and Adam and Eve chose to sin. The good news is that not only do we have a God who cares; but Jesus Christ died and rose again to destroy the curse. Jesus came that we could once again walk in the garden with God.

This same Jesus knows what is like to be rejected by family; Mark 3:20 tells us that his family thought that Jesus was out of His mind! During His lifetime, His nearest and dearest didn’t understand Him.

This same Jesus KNOWS what we are going through because He, too, was misunderstood and rejected by the leaders of His synagogue, and even His followers.

This same Jesus is calling out to YOU today; wanting for you to hear Him say to YOU; “I LOVE YOU!”

You can today, right now, join the family of God!
Don’t wait. His arms are open to receive you!
Simply put, Jesus is calling out for you today.
All you have to do is respond to His calling to you to turn from your ways and ask His forgiveness. He will take care of the rest!

Need further help? Someone is waiting to talk with you. Call either:
1-888-NEED HIM or 1-877-2GRAHAM (1-877-247-2426).

Or drop me an email; I always reply…

All Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment