Feb 19, 2015

The Timeless Word

I was looking for some fresh insight into a familiar Psalm in the Bible today; not a great revelation, but just some freshness from a version different than the one that I normally use.
 
Because I have so many versions, shapes, sizes, and number of Bibles, I had a lot to choose from. I looked at the two bookshelves on which I store my Bibles and I decided to use one of my two favorite ones that I have “retired”; “The Jerusalem Bible”. It was the Bible that I used from 1979-1989
 
SIDE NOTE: I have been reading the Bible since 1979 and during that time I have used three main Bibles retiring the previous one after receiving a new Bible:
            1979-1989
1989-1996
1996-to present; 
 
Opening the pages I took time to read the notes in the margin and places that I had underlined. I even found some old notes and insights written on scraps of paper. The smell of that old book took me back to when the Lord “spoke” to me from His word as I daily sought direction, understanding, counsel, insight, wisdom, and His face. I decided to read from one of my favorite sections in the Bible; the Book of Psalms.imHim to learn from Him, seek direction, find wisdom, and to seee
 
Turning to the old familiar passage; Psalm 19; I discovered that even though this particular Bible was “old and retired”, the words on the pages were still as fresh and alive as when I first starting using it!
 
Psalm 19:7-11 (Jerusalem Bible) says:
“The Law of Yahweh is perfect, refreshment to the soul;
The decree of Yahweh is trustworthy, wisdom for the simple.
The precepts of Yahweh are honest, joy for the heart;
The commandment of Yahweh is pure, light for the eyes.
The fear of Yahweh is pure, lasting for ever;
The judgments of Yahweh are true, upright, every one,
More desirable than gold, even than the finest gold;
His words are sweeter than honey that drips from the comb.
Thus your servant is formed by them; observing them brings great reward”
 
The timelessness of this version of the Bible wasn’t hindered by the fact that I was using a Bible it was old and “retired”; it is alive and timeless because it is the Word of God! 
 
His Holy Spirit ALWAYS brings it alive no matter how old the particular physical book that we are reading is. As long as you take the time to read, it will still speak to you today. Jesus said;
 
“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.” (John 16:12-15 NKJV)
 
So what are you waiting for? What stops you from taking the time to stop, and read, and listen to what the Lord would say to you through the pages of the Bible?
 
Even now, His Word is waiting and ready to speak to you and your situation.
 
You simply need to pick up a copy of the Bible and ask Him to speak to you.
 
And He will through His timeless word…
 
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment