Feb 26, 2015

Finally, A Cure For Writer's Block

If you are a creative person, at one point or another you will run into an invisible roadblock called “writer’s block”.
 
Writer's block is a condition in which a creative person “loses” the ability to come up with or finalize a new work or is having some sort of a creative slowdown and gets stuck. The condition ranges in difficulty and longevity from coming up with a new and original idea to being unable to produce or finish a work for many years.
 
Throughout history, writer's block has been a documented problem. This condition happens to writer of novels, plays, books, articles, poets, songwriters, blogs; and I suppose, even Tweets on your Twitter account. OK maybe not since most have no real deep content.
 
It also happens to artists, designers, architects, admen, inventors, scientists, and others who sit about in offices, studios and think tanks trying to come up with an idea to meet a deadline. This is true for published works or a deadline to come up with a creative solution.
 
When it happens, it manifests itself and the creative person sits staring at a blank canvas, sheet of paper, or a computer screen resulting in sleepless nights, extracted hairs, loss of employment, unfinished novels, and yes, for some, evens their minds trying to get unstuck.
 
For many, the insane need for a solution leads to the ultimate need to do something else or as we used to call it; “procrastination”. So creative people try exercising or walking or taking a trip and eventually set “it” down and realize that the next great American novel never will get finished and thus begins the search for a new career.
 
Over the years I have observed that one of the hardest parts of being a creative person is usually not coming up with ideas; in fact on some days they are a dime a dozen! The hardest part is getting past the invisible roadblock where you are stuck; this is true whether it is coming up with the idea or the execution.
 
It is then that I personally have had to realize where my creativity comes from and go to it to get unstuck. Without a source outside of me I would have gone insane many years ago. No; I’m actually not there yet.
 
I have told many who have asked me where my ideas for creative solutions, or artwork, or preaching, or writing come from, that I am not the source. Often times when I tell others that my ideas come from the Lord who is my true source, my explanation is met with rolled eyes. But the truth is that He alone is the One who is the true source of all creativity. He is the same One who said; “Let there be light!” and scientist will agree that no one has ever seen any proof that light has ever stopped.
 
Jesus affirmed this when He said;
 “Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.” (John 5:19)
 
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)
 
Jesus affirmed this for even the words that He spoke:
 “For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak. 50 And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak.” (John 12:49-50)
 
So, the next time that you find yourself at an invisible roadblock called “writer’s block”; I challenge you to turn to the True Source of Creativity and ask Him for help to get unstuck. After all, He is the One who started it all!
 
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.” (John 1:1-3)
 
All Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment