Jan 30, 2014

What’s so great about being “Empty Nesters”?

We have been "empty-nesters" for a few years and this seems to be the goal for so many couples. Me; I am so grateful to be a dad and grandfather who is able to have so many opportunities to reconnect with my children and grandchildren at various times.

I love the drop-ins and stop-ins and pop-ins! I love it when I am up in my office in my home and I hear one of my children coming up the stairs to simply let me know that that they stopped over to pick something up. And that they wanted to say; “Hi”.

I love it when we get the last minute calls of; “Hey can you…babysit…or help me with…or stop over and… I LOVE IT!

That is why we moved our home office to the third floor of our house and set up guest rooms. Our house may be “empty” during parts of our week, but we want to be ready for opportunities for our children and grandchildren to spend the night or to join us for a meal (or two or three…).

(To my children and grandchildren who I’m not always able to connect with because of schedules or the proximity of your house to mine, please know how fondly I think about you and miss you when we are apart...)

When I was praying about some job opportunities over the past few years (some which would require Cathy and I to relocate) these scriptures became the anchor to part of our decision (Deuteronomy 4:9):
“Just make sure you stay alert. Keep close watch over yourselves. Don’t forget anything of what you’ve seen. Don’t let your heart wander off. Stay vigilant as long as you live. Teach what you’ve seen and heard to your children and grandchildren.” (MSG)

“Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren” (NKJV)

We knew that part of what we are called to do is to continue to be parents to our adult children and to “start the process over” by teaching our grandchildren the ways of the Lord. We know that we are called to keep our empty nest full as part of the blessing of the Lord.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them.” (Psalm 127:4-5a)



New King James Version (NKJV) The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.



Steve Green- "Children are a Treasure from the Lord"

No comments:

Post a Comment