Jan 23, 2014

What Makes Something Valuable?


My wife Cathy works at a school that is designed to meet the unique transitional needs of students with special needs between 18-21 years of age. As part of her job, she runs a thrift and craft store during school hours. The school accepts donations of cash, new, and gently used items.  Money raised through the store goes directly back to the school to support the daily curriculum, as well as after school programming.

Cathy is always looking for great deals that will provide for those who ask her; “If you ever get this in, let me know…” For me, one of the great things about this is that she also looks for items that will make me happy (what a great wife!); especially pertaining to hockey.
 
Recently she came home with some shirts that she purchased for me that had something to do with hockey. And, to my great joy, they all fit me! After trying the shirts on, I folded them up to put them away.

As I was folding one of the shirts, I noticed on the back of it that someone had collected some autographs. Looking a little closer, I saw that one of the autographs was from Brett Hull. I recognized it because in the past, someone had given me a puck with his signature on it. Suddenly, the shirt became even more valuable; to the point that I probably won’t wear it.

So what makes something valuable? Do you know? Some would say its usefulness. But, something useful to you may not have any usefulness to me. Others would say how available it is adds to its value. In other words; can you buy it today but not tomorrow? Or how rare is it or what someone is willing to pay for it. Some would even go to say that who owns it or whose it is makes it valuable.

When I take an old Cuban cigar box from 1912 and turn it into a guitar, does that now make it more valuable? Does the maker of the item make any difference to the value of something or if someone attaches their name to it those that make it valuable?

What about for people? Are you any more valuable simply because of whom you belong to? In the Book of Isaiah (chapter 43), The Lord God says; that we are “precious” and “I gave Egypt for your ransom…”

I love how Eugene Peterson translated it; “I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That’s how much you mean to me! That’s how much I love you! I’d sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.(Isaiah 43:3-4 MSG).
 
Would you give a whole nation to purchase something or someone? I’d say that He thinks we are valuable; so that makes us valuable! He paid a tremendous price so that we could be redeemed from our sin.

As you continue to ponder my question as to ‘what makes something valuable’, I’ll try to get to my point…

The Apostle Paul wrote;
For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” (1 Corinthians 5:21 NJKV)
 
Today, as you wander through your schedule, stop and ponder the fact that this God who made us and all we see saw such great value in you! He paid a tremendous price not because he was angry at you; but because He wanted you to know how valuable you are to Him. And that you were worth paying for so that He could spend time with you!

Call out to Him; He longs to spend time with you even at this very moment. Perhaps that is the reason for this post.

Do you know that you are God’s Special Treasure? Do you know this Jesus who paid for you? Call 1-888-NEED HIM. Someone is waiting to talk with you right now. 

 

NKJV = New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment