Jan 16, 2014

Persevering on Protein Powder

When I first started into body building, I discovered the value of using protein powders. Protein sources have different absorption rates thus allowing for a more extended "feeding time” and a more complete amino acid pool for the working muscles.

By using protein powders, I supply my body with the highest quality proteins that are “pre-digested”, mix easily, and fortified with vitamins and minerals to deliver the most complete protein supplement. I made sure that they are also high in BCAA’s and contain “L-Glutamine” for maximum recovery! And they are a great Source of Lactalbumin (whatever that is)!


I would drink one serving upon waking in the morning and one after my daily workouts by making a “protein shake” by using 1-2 scoops of protein mixed with 8-12 oz of milk, a hand-full of fresh berries, a banana, as well as other vegetables such as spinach and carrots in a blender. A few minutes later, I was drinking a very nutritious drink that would supply vitamins and minerals to meet my needs for the day.

I also discovered that in my fast paced life, I could mix 1-2 scoops of protein mixed with 8-12 oz of just cold water and in an instant put 30-60 grams of protein in my body and be out the door in a flash! No sitting down; simply mix, shake, and on my way! No taking time to make anything that would require cooking or cleaning! In fact some days, when in a hurry, I can drink my protein while running out the door and wash the mixer bottle later.

This worked great for both exercising as well as when I played hockey.

Now, I don’t like to eat “fast foods” and I stay away from them because I don’t what is added to the “food” as well as the idea that we can rush in, pick up something, and wolf it down and then get back to what we are doing.

As Randy Stonehill says;
American fast food, what a stupid way to die… Its prefab junk at an exorbitant price and it's bound to make you nauseous if you look at it twice. But they're selling you by telling you its food that's fun when it tastes like cardboard it chews like sponge 'cause it's really only garbage on a sesame bun…”

And yet, I had come up with my own form of fast food that was quick and easy and perhaps bypassed how I was to consume my nutrition.

But this is not how we are intended to consume our foods. We are not meant to “eat on the run”. Instead, I believe that part of the way we are made to consume our foods is in the preparation as well as the time we stop, and rest, and especially sit and dialog with friends and loved ones.

Then one day I realized that on some days, this is how I consumed my “spiritual food”; a quick verse or a short devotional and I was out the door and on my way to bigger and better things. No sitting and pondering the Word of God (Bible) until it filled me up. No sitting and taking time for relationship with the only One who could meet my every needs.

When Jesus said; “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.” (John 7:37 NKJV), He wasn’t talking about a quick protein shake. He wants us to come to Him because He is talking about a relationship.

So if today, you find yourself reaching for a quick spiritual protein shake, STOP!  Listen to Him as He cries out through the Prophet Isaiah:
“Hey there! All who are thirsty come to the water! Are you penniless? Come anyway—buy and eat! Come, buy your drinks, buy wine and milk. Buy without money—everything’s free! Why do you spend your money on junk food, your hard-earned cash on cotton candy? Listen to me, listen well: Eat only the best, fill yourself with only the finest.” (Isaiah 55:1-3 MSG)

He really is longing to sit down and have a meal with you. Do you hear Him knocking?
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” (Revelation 3:20 NKJV)


New King James Version (NKJV) The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

 

The Message (MSG)

Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

 

 “American Fastfoods” by Randy Stonehill



American fast food, what a stupid way to die
American fast food, order me the jumbo fries
Oh, oh, it's easy
It's so easy and it's trouble free
It's quick and disposable, just like me
If I don't stop eating this greasy American fast food

Well, we're undernourished, but we're overfed
And we're munching on the burger with the white bread
And we're sucking up the sugar in a milkshake
Till we slip into depression with a big headache
And our arteries are crying out, "give us a break"

American fast food, what a stupid way to die
American fast food, you kiss your old age goodbye
Oh, oh, it's easy
It's so easy and it's trouble free
It's quick and disposable, just like me
If I don't stop eating this greasy American fast food

You won't have to embalm me when my life is through
There are so many preservatives in what I eat
The job's being done right now for you

"Can I take you order, please?"
"A cheeseburger, fries, and a big chocolate malted"

It's prefab junk at an exorbitant price
And it's bound to make you nauseous if you look at it twice
But they're selling you by telling you it's food that's fun
When it tastes like cardboard It chews like sponge
'cause it's really only garbage on a sesame bun

American fast food, what a stupid way to die
American fast food, order me the chili-size
Oh, oh, it's easy
It's so easy and it's trouble free
It's quick and disposable, just like me
If I don't stop eating this greasy American
I don't stop eating this greasy American fast food

No comments:

Post a Comment