Jan 3, 2013

“Sit Down Next To Me”

…Cathy said as I was pacing the floor in our family room “killing” some time before my next appointment. She patted the couch to communicate; “Sit Down Next To Me.”

Cathy sat on the couch and invited me to sit with her, instead of just walking around. Now, I don’t remember if I had a meeting to get to or a hockey game to play in; because this scene has played out before. What I do know is that she didn’t want me to miss this opportunity to spend some time with her.”.

She continued to pat the couch to communicate her invitation; “Sit Down Next To Me.

I continued to pace not realizing that what I was communicating to her. I was already down the road to my next destination acting as though she wasn’t really in the room.

The sad part of this story is that I have done the same with the Lord sometimes as I “took my prayer time”. I have actually spent time “seeking Him” but not really acknowledging that He was indeed in the room with me.

If I had, I wouldn’t have paced the floor “killing” some time before my next appointment. I would have stopped, and sat down, and spent time; real time with One who longed to be with me.

I would have spent more time actually mediating on what I was reading in the Bible; taking greater time to ponder the application of it to my life.

Misty Edwards has a song that speaks to this called “Dove’s Eyes”. In it she sings;
I don't want to talk about You like You're not in the room
I want to look right at You I want to sing right to You
I believe that You are listening
I believe that You move at the sound of my voice
Give me dove's eyes
Give me undistracted devotion for only You

Oh Father God, help me learn to sit down and really spend time with You EACH and EVERY day; to recognize and acknowledge that YOU are there and want to spend time with me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment