Oct 29, 2010

Quiver Full

Last Saturday, Cathy and I welcomed into our family another daughter-in-law. My youngest son Josh got married to the love of his life; Jen, or “Jennie O” as she has started referring to herself now that her last name starts with an “O”. I heard a rumor that she is planning on talking to the Jennie O Turkey Company hoping to work out some sort of a deal for Thanksgiving.

Josh and Jen met when they both attended and graduated from Bethel University in St. Paul, Minnesota.

What a great time we had as family and friends joined us over two days in the celebration of this new union. So many people were willing to travel to a wedding far from home to stand alongside this young couple as they pledged their vows together before God. One woman traveled from as far away as Mexico. What a joy it is to have friends and family!

Once again I had the tremendous privilege and blessing of being both a dad and a minister (the one who married them) to a couple starting out on the great adventure known as “marriage”.

I say privilege because it is something that I realize is a gift, not a right. Earlier in the month I attended a wedding at which, for whatever reason, the mother of one of the persons getting married was intentionally not invited.

I say blessing because Psalm 127:4-5 says; “Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them…” We now have 6 adult children, two daughters-in-law, one son-in-law, and a grandchild on the way! So, Cathy and I clearly have our “quiver full”.

As we drove home after being gone for a couple days, Cathy and I pondered just how good God has been to us in giving us such great children; not perfect, but great none the less. And I realized that God has provided such great marriage partners for our children who are married (and friends to those who are not). I have a quiver full of life and hope in the form of young adults who really make this world a better place because they are in it.

We are so grateful for the many people whom God has used to help shape and form our children. Friends and loved ones who have stood alongside all of us as we have gone through this life since the day Cathy and I said “I do” to each other so many years ago.

So today I write this blog and ponder how good it is that I have a quiver full. Trials, yes, but through it all God has been good to us.

God has been good to us; not because we deserved it; because we don’t. Simply put, God has chosen to bless us and for that I am grateful. Our married life hasn’t always been easy, nor has it been without heartaches and trials. The Bible tells us that Jesus said; “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33).

God has chosen, by His grace to be good to me. And for that I am grateful and my tears well up with thankfulness.




Under the Grace by Phil Keaggy
I lie awake in the middle of the night again
I try to make some sense of it all rushing in
There's so much I feel within this heart of mine
I well up inside and my eyes, they overflow
For I know, it is grace

The look of love in the shape of your face I have known
It speaks of this deep sacrifice you have shown
And the wonder of it all is, I didn't deserve this
I couldn't have planned it so right
And so my eyes, they overflow
Let it rain, let it pour, let it go
For I know this, yes I know - it is grace

And the hungry in heart seeks for its place and a home
But it may tear you apart when you see
What this grace here has done
Fly, fly all you burdens - go fly away
It's here I remain - under the grace

It seems there's so little time to make amends here
If not for you, will then I'm without a friend here
©1998 Word Music/Sebastian/ASCAP

No comments:

Post a Comment