Oct 15, 2010

How do you add a semicolon to a song?

I was talking about the song “Just The Way I Am” (by Big Daddy Weave) at our Home Bible Study last week. The song is upbeat, catchy, and tells of the unconditional love of God. I mentioned that although I liked the song, I felt that it was missing a “semicolon”.

“How do you add a semicolon to a song?” was the question I was asked by someone.

I wasn’t totally sure what she was asking partially because occupationally she worked for a gastroenterologist (someone who specializes in the branch of medicine whereby the digestive system and its disorders are studied and treated). That wasn’t the “colon” I was thinking of.

The colon I was thinking of is a punctuation mark consisting of two equally sized dots centered on the same vertical line. A colon informs the reader that the following proves or explains or simply provides elements of what is referred to before. Oftentimes a colon is used before a list or an explanation that is preceded by a clause that can stand by itself. The colon is like a gate, inviting the reader to continue on.

The song; “Just The Way I Am” by Big Daddy Weave, makes some bold statements about the unconditional love of God. The songs states; “You Love me just the way I am… Not when I'm good enough. Not when I clean my act up. Not when I cross the line the thousandth time. And become a better man. Your grace is more than enough. To cover all my sins, Lord wash them away. So right here today, You love me just the way I am”.

And, I like those words. They are a great reminder of the grace and mercy of God towards mankind. It was this same grace and mercy that caused God to send Jesus. “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)

My concern was that people would misunderstand that when the song tells us that God loves us “just the way we are”; that somehow He accepts or approves of whatever we do. My “semicolon” would be to add what Jesus said to the adulterous woman who was brought before Him; “And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

Stating; “You love me just the way I am” is not saying that God doesn’t require change; in fact it is through His power that we change. A line in the song says; “Ever patiently accepting me You love in spite of everything I do But oh so faithfully You're committed to the process that makes me like You”. Did you catch that? God wants to CHANGE us in order to make us more like Him. And, God tends to get what He wants.

GOD IS LOVE AND HE THINKS THE BEST OF US, BUT HE HATES SIN. “Sin” is ANYTHING that separates us from God and God will do WHATEVER it takes to remove it from our lives IF we let Him. Just because He loves us doesn’t mean that we can legislate our sins away.

We all know John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." 

But the passage goes on to say; "17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." God loves us AND we need to respond to that love.

One of the best pictures of God’s love for sinners is when Jesus said; “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing!” (Luke 13:34) What a Picture!

So my question to you is; “If Jesus presented Himself to you today, are you willing; willing to let Jesus gather you to Himself as a hen gathers her chicks?” You can; it’s up to you. Jesus stands at the door of our hearts and knocks; and waits. Until we open up and let Him in.

Maybe along the way you’ve forgotten God; He hasn’t forgotten you. Call out to Him, won’t you? God still wants you to come to Him through His Son Jesus Christ. 

Call 1-888-NEED HIM. Someone is waiting to talk with you right now.

“Just The Way I Am” lyrics by Mike Weaver (Big Daddy Weave) Album: "What I Was Made For"

Unbelievable, I’m blown away it’s true
By the matchless love that I’ve found in You
Undeniable, the change in me
I’ve never felt so free

It makes me want to dance
You make me want to dance
When I think about how

You love me, You love me
You love me just the way I am
You love me, You love me
You love me just the way,
Just the way I am

Ever patiently accepting me
You love in spite of everything I do
But oh so faithfully
You’re committed to the process that makes me like You
And I feel like I can dance
Oh You make me want to dance
When I think about how

Not when I’m good enough
Not when I clean my act up
Not when I cross that line the thousandth time
And become a better man
Your grace is more than enough
To cover all my sins You washed them away
So right here today
You love me just the way I am

© 2005 Fervent / Spirit-Led


No comments:

Post a Comment