Oct 18, 2018

Rain drops Keep Fallin’ On My Head


Raindrops are falling on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothing seems to fit
Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep falling

As a pastor, I officiate a lot of weddings; especially during the summer. Five years ago, having an outside wedding was an exception because the vast majority were done inside of a church building.

But, over the past few years I have noticed that the tendency is that couples want to get married outside. In fact, last year only one of the eight weddings were inside.

I personally like outdoor weddings because I think that everyone is more relaxed and seems to enjoy themselves. My general rule is that the couples just need to have a plan B just in case it rains.

Most outdoor venues have a plan B location, such as an enclosed pavilion, just in case the weather changes.

I have delayed the start time of a wedding in order to accommodate the happy couple’s desire to be wed outdoors as we waited for a passing storm to leave the area.

And since 1995 I have only had one rain out; and the venue had a large barn that was air conditioned on the hot rainy day, so no one complained; although it would have been nice to have done it outdoors…

I should say only one rain out until last week….

The venue we were at DID have a plan B so none of us was too concerned when all of the radar showed that a rain shower was moving in. I told the groom that I was willing to delay the wedding as long as we could should the storm hit us.

So I just did me some talking to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
He's sleeping on the job
Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep fallin'

We waited a short while and then realized that (perhaps) we could start “now” since all of the guests had arrived and were ready to go. The guests, knowing how important this was for the bride to be wed outdoors, grabbed their umbrellas and committed to sit in the rain if necessary.

I, too, committed, stating that I could drop my suit off at the dry cleaners should it get wet.

When I walked out to the area where the wedding would take place, I looked up at the skies while the sound person checked the live radar report. We conclude that we were about to be hit by a thunderstorm.

Raindrops keep falling on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red
Crying's not for me
'Cause, I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining

As much as the rest of us were willing to have a wedding in the rain, it would ruin the sound person’s equipment; and so, we needed to move the ceremony indoors. The groom had a bridesmaid discuss this with the bride who agreed that indoors was the best way to go.

We all pitched in and moved the sound equipment indoors when all of a sudden, the winds shifted and the skies became very dark. Within a few minutes, the clouds gave way and dumped rain.

We were all glad that we had moved inside so quickly when the winds started to blow at sixty to seventy miles per hour as the rain beat on the walls and hail pounded the roof.
 
Soon there was water running into the pavilion as the canvas walls struggled against the tornadic winds and rain.

I am happy to report that none of the guests complained as we were all glad that we were inside and not outside when the storm hit. All of them seemed to be OK with another delay so that we could arrange the dining area in order to do the ceremony; and to wait for the deadly storm to pass through.

But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me
Won't defeat me
It won't be long 'till happiness steps up to greet me

After twenty minutes or so, the squeegees came out, towels wiped the chairs and tables, and we proceeded with the wedding as we watched the happy couple make a public declaration of their love and commitment to each other.

The social hour and reception went off without a hitch as the guests were treated to great food and fellowship; that is until another storm with tornadic winds and heavy rain hit a few hours later, right after the dinner and before the dancing began.

As so as the heavy rain let up enough, I said goodbye to the couple and walked in the rain to my car to drive home.

During my drive home, the storm still raged but I was able to see the cars ahead of me. I took some time to thank the Lord because I was grateful for the couple and His provision to them, and His protection of all of those guests.

Little did I realize just how protected we had been and the wisdom that He gave to get us to move inside (during both storms). On the news that night it was reported that one large area of Minnesota had sixteen tornadoes; several of which touched down and destroyed whole sections of towns.

And I am grateful.

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.” (James 1:2-4 MSG)

Praise the Lord!



The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment