Sep 17, 2010

Slow Down and Smell the Roses

It’s Friday already; man did the week flew by quickly! Just 1 week ago I was lacing up my skates to skate at the Excel Energy Center, which is home to the Minnesota Wild. I was invited to spend some time at a Press Conference for the Minnesota Wild to meet and greet the newest players (Cullen, Madden, and Nystrom) as well as Mikko Koivu, who had just signed a large contract extension.  

Following the interviews, I took a tour of the whole MN Wild facilities with Chuck Fletcher, the General Manger of the Wild (along with others like Jason Stern). Afterwards, I had the whole ice rink at the Excel Energy Center to myself to skate on for around 20 minutes (well, actually I shared the fresh sheet of ice with 2 other people and Pierre-Marc Bouchard’s brother; still, pretty cool for those of us who love hockey.). The time that I spent with the Minnesota Wild went by way too quickly as well as my time on the ice.  

And here I am, one week later; realizing that this past week just flew by. “Where did this week go?”; I ask myself as I sit here writing this blog, realizing that it took me longer to cook my supper than it did for me to eat it. It is a good thing that Cathy told me that my meal was “seasoned with garlic, ginger, and aromatic spices”; I ate it too fast to even notice or to enjoy deep conversation with her as we rushed to the next event in our day. 

How much did I stop and smell the roses this week? How slowly did I chew my food? How well did I listen to those who were speaking with me this week; did I really listen to what they were saying? Did I stop and enjoy my week, or was I in a hurry to get to the next event; and if so, what did I miss along the way?

Life moves very quickly when you cross over to the fifties, way too quickly. I’m realizing that I need to slow down and enjoy life moment by moment; savoring every conversation and visitation of life that crosses my path in whatever form it comes; emails, phone calls, drop-ins, as well as scheduled events.

The way that we rushed through this week; was it worth it? We should live each day as though it might be our last day; because it might be our last day. And, if we are not careful, life may pass us by. And then, in time, we will breathe our last and others will be talking about how we lived when we were alive.

When we were young and growing up we didn’t think about death. We think that death is for our grandmother; or for the old man down the road. But death comes to all of us, usually at a time when most of us do not expect it or when we are not looking for it; and then it is there. Sometimes, people are not ready to die; they’re un-prepared and they haven’t thought about getting their life together because they were too busy rushing through this life without really living.

Today, please take some time to think about life and death and what’s important. Death is a reality - but so is God's offer of salvation in Christ. Is your hope in Christ? Don't put off your decision for Him, because you could be called into eternity at any moment - and then it will be too late.

Take time to talk to God and to talk to your friends. Take time to think about what’s important. Take time to slow down and smell the roses; it will be next week soon enough.

SATURDAY NOTE: This morning, a good friend, Gil Gaitin, had a sudden massive heart attack while undergoing a stress-test.  As of Saturday afternoon, he had not regained consciousness and was on life-support. LIFE REALLY IS EVER CHANGING. 

MONDAY NOTE: It is with great grief that I inform you that "Papa" Gil Gaitin has been called from this earth to his reward in heaven. He died about 4:30 a.m. this morning. Please cover the immediate family and the Bethel Christian Fellowship family in their immense suffering. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday morning at BCF. There will be a visitation Wednesday evening from 5-8 and visitation before the funeral on Thursday morning. More information will be coming shortly. In our unity, we can find the strength we need from the Lord.

Struggling with what to do next? Go to: http://www.riverofhopeministries.org/getright.php

Or call 1-888-NEED-HIM. Someone is waiting to talk to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment