Aug 15, 2019

My Dad Is In Charge


It was a Friday night in nineteen seventy something and I was working part time at the Post Office while attending art college. And, because I was only part time, I was able to carry the load of college and still make money to pay my way.


One evening, I arrived at my normal timeslot and was greeted by a new supervisor who wanted to talk with me.

He said that he had replaced my old boss who had retired and that he had some great concerns about how few hours I worked each day.

I explained to him that I was special and only was scheduled to work four hours a day from six until ten in the evening. This was the arrangement that I had with my old boss.

He explained to me that because my old boss no longer worked there and he was now in change, that would need to change; effective immediately.

He added that if I was unwilling to work a full eight-hour shift and be available for overtime as necessary, I should go home and no longer report for work.

Because I realized that he was serious and because I had no intention of ever working full time while attending college, I took off my badge, handed it to him, and went home.

When I arrived home, my dad asked why I was home so early.

As I explained what had transpired, my dad’s face became very stern.

“That guy has no right to demand that of you! Why didn’t you call me?” he asked, adding “Don’t you know that I could’ve worked things out for you?”
 
I mumbled something as I felt the sting of disappointment that my dad expressed in me not going to him for help.

For some reason I hadn’t thought of my dad, who had worked his whole career at the post office and was higher up in management then my new boss was.

I mumbled something else as I walked out the door, realizing that I had disappointment to two people in a very short span of time.

I don’t remember much of what happened during the weekend but, needless to say, on Monday I was back working for the Post office. My dad had gone into work and explained what had happened and “heads began to roll”.

They not only agreed that my new boss was out of line and had no authority to say what he said to me, but they also offered my old job and hours back to me with an apology that this had ever taken place.

I felt triumphant that night as I strolled back into work knowing that my boss had limited authority over my life. My dad outranked him and there was nothing that he could do about it!

My dad was happy that he was able to help. What I thought was disappointment on his face was frustration that someone had messed up his son’s life and that I hadn’t come to him to ask for his help.

In time I learned that is what I do with my heavenly Father. I will get myself in trouble or else someone or something will threaten me and I don’t even go to Him and ask for His help.

Instead, I quit or hide or roll over.

His Son Jesus paid for my sins and that is why I call Him Savior.

But He is also Lord. That means He is supreme in all authority; He is still in control of EVERYTHING and of EVERY situation.

He simply wants us to ask for His help.

Jesus is Savior and Lord.

“Therefore, God elevated Him (Jesus) to the place of highest honor
    and gave Him the name above all other names,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:9-11)

 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” (Acts 2:36)

 “The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ—He is Lord of all—(Acts 10:36)

“But for us, There is one God, the Father,
    by whom all things were created,
    and for whom we live.
And there is one Lord, Jesus Christ,
    through whom all things were created,
    and through whom we live.” (1 Corinthians 8:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment