Aug 14, 2014

Dawn Chorus

Ever have one of those mornings when you really need some sleep (at least until the alarm clock goes off) and instead you are wakened up to the sounds of birds singing; seemingly way too early in the morning? 
 
This little concert of birdsong in the wee hours of the morning is called the “dawn chorus”. It can start as early as four o’clock in the morning and last several hours.
 
It’s true that birds sing all throughout the day, but during the early morning dawn, their songs seem louder, livelier, and more frequent especially depending upon how much you needed your sleep.
 
So how do you respond when this happens? Do you enjoy their little concert, or do you instead start your own “singing” as you slam the window closed in a huff?
 
Do you choose to respond to the morning’s first light with songs of; “Oh good, its morning!” Or do you choose to say instead say; “I’m not a morning person”, as you continue in your huff singing to your own tune.
 
It’s not a trick question and it may explain how, in general, you awaken the dawn; how you face your new day. And, in a way, sets the tone as to how you will greet people and situations throughout your day.
 
King David wrote in Psalm 57
My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and give praise. Awake, my glory! Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn.” (Psalm 57:7-8 NKJV)
 
David seems to be greeting the new day by singing songs to God and playing on several different instruments. Sounds a lot like those ‘pesky’ little birds waking us up way too early in the morning!
 
And I should add, he wrote this when he was on the run, far away from his home, hiding in a cave, trying to get away from an angry king named Saul who was trying to kill him for something that he didn’t even do!
 
Instead of complaining, David was actually choosing to respond to the new day with songs of joy and praise during a time when he might have chosen instead to be angry with God for his current situation.
 
I like how Eugene Peterson translates Psalm 57:7-8 in the “Message”:
“I’m ready, God, so ready, ready from head to toe, Ready to sing, ready to raise a tune: “Wake up, soul! Wake up, harp! wake up, lute! Wake up, you sleepyhead sun!”
 
My friend, whether we get enough sleep or not; whether we are awakened by ‘pesky’ birds well before the alarm clock; we still get a choice as to how we will respond.
 
David wrote in Psalm 5:3
 “My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; In the morning I will direct it to You, And I will look up.”
 
We get to choose to participate in a ‘dawn chorus’ as EACH of our new days begin. How you respond is up to you, but it will affect you and all who will come across your path today.
 
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed lately as my friends are getting older (mind you, I still am only a few years out of High School) I often hear ourselves thank God for another day as each day becomes more and more cherished like a rare jewel. Knowing now that my life has gone like a wisp of the wind, I think I would have shed off the "weight" that had so easily beset me sooner. Now, is the day of salvation. Now, is the day to look forward and lay those days behind me. There is just not too many days left to make a difference, I hope I have 14,640 days to try.

    ReplyDelete