Dec 12, 2013

Rest and Wait

Last Saturday I was home with nothing on my schedule. Actually, I should say that I chose to clear my schedule so that I could have some much needed down-time. I have not had an open Saturday in over three months. And, the next several Saturdays were already booked.

Just to be clear, my Saturdays have been filled with great events that included a wedding, babysitting, travel, helping out friends with their chores, and other things that I LOVE to do.

But, after a long week, I canceled everything and stayed home. In my time of devotions, the words “rest” and “wait” seemed to pop out from the scriptures that I was reading.

And so I was determined to simply rest and wait. I looked up the words in a concordance:

Rest means: (Hebrew) “A primitive root; to push forward, in various senses (literally or figuratively, transitively or intransitively): - break out, come (mightily), go over, be good, be meet, be profitable, (cause to, effect, make to, send) prosper (-ity, -ous, -ously).”

Wait means: (Hebrew) “A primitive root; to bind together (perhaps by twisting), that is, collect; (figuratively) to expect: - gather (together), look, patiently, tarry, wait (for, on, upon).”

As I sat and spent time pondering the words of the scripture an overwhelming sense of calm came to my heart. The room I was sitting in seemed to be amazingly quiet. In fact, as I arose, I became aware of just how quiet and calm the whole house was. So I sat and rested and waited.

As I write this I realize just how many tasks (that I had put off like cleaning the refrigerator)  I was able to get done in a relatively short amount of time.

Eventually, when all was completed, I started to think that I had to do something; so I reminded myself that today, I was to simply rest and wait.

As you continue to go through this Advent Season, slow down; there is so much more that awaits you as you simply rest and wait

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment