Nov 21, 2013

Only A Shadow


It was early morning and all was dark outside as the rain fell on my head. I was carrying out the recycling container full with the past two week’s newspapers and other recyclables to the front sidewalk when all at once I saw something that crossed my path and I was startled to the point that I moved out of the way.

Now, my heart didn’t skip a beat, but I was stunned enough to stop and want to pull back and take cover. Ok, maybe not take cover, but it was enough to cause me to stop and look around.

My first thought was that I had surprised a cat or some other small animal and it scurried to get out of my way. When I turned to set down the container I noticed my shadow move across the rain soaked grass. “It was only a shadow, not an animal that had crossed my path”; I thought to myself as I made my way back to the house.

Only a shadow; and yet I actually thought I saw something that really wasn’t even there. Good thing that it was so dark out that no one else could’ve seen me jump at a shadow!

I thought of the song by Misty Edwards called “Only A Shadow” in which she sings;

“Though I walk through the valley, it's only a shadow, it's only a shadow! Though my body may perish, it's only a shadow, it's only a shadow!”

The song is a good reminder that when we go through life and are startled by the darkness of life, they are only shadows; not what is REALLY happening; or at least not the FULL picture.

This life isn’t all that it seems. There is so much more out there than meets the eye. And so, we can take comfort in knowing that we have a loving God who has revealed Himself through Jesus Christ as the “Good Shepherd who gives His life for the sheep” (See John chapter 10).

King David wrote in Psalm 23 “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:4 NKJV)

We can take comfort that whatever happens to us, the Lord will be faithful to bring us out of darkness into His marvelous light” (1 Peter 2:9)
 
 
WATCH THE FULL COINCERT BY MISTY EDWARDS

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment