Sep 26, 2013

Stop Acting Like An Adult!

I spent some time with two of my grandchildren this past week and I realized that one of the joys that I have at this age in my life is the ability to once again be a dad. No, Cathy is not pregnant, but as a grandfather, I get to re-live some of the joyful experiences that I went through when my own children were young.

For instance, I get to enjoy the simple joy of the grandchildren running to me as they hold up their arms requesting that I hold them. I so much appreciated that when my own children were young and would greet me at the door each night when I came home from work.

And often times they had something that they made for me or something to show me and had been waiting all day for me to get home. I was the object of their attention and the target of their affections. Nothing else really mattered!

And you know what; how they looked or what they wore at that moment didn’t really matter. And this is from one who has sent several suit coats to the dry cleaners over the years to get the “spit-up’ cleaned off it. But, before I cleaned it up, I wore it like a badge of honor!

One of the things that I realized about them is that when they come into a room where I am, they simply come as they are; “messy diaper and all”. They don’t seem to mind that their diapers are full or that their face has something on it that they ate. Their shirt can be clean or dirty; it really doesn’t matter, nor does the mud on their shoes. Their hair can be perfectly combed or “bed-hair” and they will still want me to pick them up and hold them because they are happy to see me.

Children don’t ask if there is going to be enough money to pay the bills of if there will be food on the table or clothes for the next big event in their lives. They simply trust and almost assume that those things will always be there. Children sing and dance like no one is watching and they aren’t concerned if they are doing it exactly right or on key.

Jesus said; “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3 NKJV)

Perhaps what Jesus is telling us is that His Father isn’t as hung up on how we look or smell or how well we sing or dance; He simply wants to be with us. And to truly enter into the fullness of that relationship and His kingdom, we are going to have to stop “acting like an adult” and come to Him as a child.

He is the object of our attention and the target of our affections. Nothing else really matters! It’s all about relation with a Father who longs to be with His children.

For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom He stood in the middle of the room, and said, “I’m telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God’s kingdom. What’s more, when you receive the childlike on My account, it’s the same as receiving Me.” (Matthew 18:2-5 MSG)

Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let’s not let it slip through our fingers. We don’t have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He’s been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let’s walk right up to him and get what He is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help.” (Hebrews 4:14-16 MSG)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment