Apr 18, 2013

STOP!

It was one of the days. I had several friends going through tough times and the weight was resting on my heart and my mind.

One friend has been in a medically induced coma for a week as his body fights to get well. Another friend has been hospitalized a long time waiting for her body to start functioning as it should. Several friends are also in the hospital recouping from surgery.

Another friend is searching for where he and his family of five will call home as the place they are currently staying will no longer work for them to live there.  Another friend is facing his past and trying to walk out the mercy of the Lord through the court system. Another friend is waiting for the job to come along as he continues to trust in the provision of the Lord as he looks for work.

Besides all that I feel the weight of those to whom the Lord has given to me to pastorally care for. Some are students, others are ministers, and others fellow sojourners on the path of life. Some know Jesus and some do not. All of their stories have affected my life in one way or another.

And then, this week, the scales started to tip as I received an email from one of my children; “hey mom and dad. Could you be praying for Jen and I please. Jake suddenly died tonight” Jake is their German Shepherd dog, a puppy really, that they got from one of my daughters two weeks ago.

My heart had a decision to make as I, a “fixer”, wanted to make everything ‘all right’. But, I can’t; and it’s not even my job! I needed to STOP!  And be still. And KNOW that He is God. (Psalm 46:10)

The Amplified Version translates Psalm 46:10;  “Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth!” (Amp Version)


I love how Eugene Peterson translates it;  “Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything.” (MSG Version)

Why? So that I can realize that God REALLY is in control. None of these situations has escaped His knowledge or His care. People, He is still in control. STOP!


New King James Version (NKJV) The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.
The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
Amplified Bible (AMP) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment