May 3, 2012

I am a transient

I parked my car at the airport to pick up a friend. Less than an hour later, I was back in my car driving my friend to his next destination. When I got home, I looked at the receipt that was given to me when I paid for the parking. The receipt had the word “transient” printed on it. “Transient”; I thought to myself; “Why would they print that word? Wasn’t that a bad word?”

I immediately thought of a hobo, a bum, or someone who was homeless just passing through. The word conjured up a negative image so I went to the dictionary to look up the word’s meaning.

Simply put, the word “transient” means (among other definitions): 

·         Not lasting, enduring, or permanent; transitory.

·         Lasting only a short time; existing briefly; temporary

·         Staying only a short time

·         A temporary guest, boarder, laborer, or the like.

A transient? I had a home, a place; I could prove it! I wasn’t a transient;  or was I? The Bible tells me that this place is not my home; that I am a transient, a sojourner, a stranger, an alien. The Bible also says that I am a "foreigner" and of “another nation”

Sounds like a transient to me.

Jesus said; In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:2-3)

Peter exhorts us that this isn’t our home; we are transients: Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul” (1 Peter 2:11)

The Apostle Paul reminds us that our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20)


And that we are looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13)

“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth” (Hebrews 11:13)
 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.” Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” (Revelation 22:20)


This is not our home; we are transients!



New King James Version "Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

No comments:

Post a Comment