Oct 13, 2011

“Entropy”

This week we really have had great weather! But, a few weeks ago in September, the outside air temperature was thirty six degrees when I woke up; just the day before, the temperature was seventy degrees. I saw that the high was forecasted to be only fifty eight degrees; which was quite a change from the ninety degrees we had two days before. How had the weather in September become so cold so quickly? 

I knew that eventually my body would adjust to the cold temperatures and I would enjoy the cold crisp air, which is a good thing for playing hockey; both indoors and outside. I was glad that I would be inside today at a church attending a conference since my body had not yet acclimated to these cold temperatures. But, how had the weather in become so cold so quickly?

The conference that I attended in September was a follow up to one that took place approximately six months before at another church location. The previous conference had significant impact as I was stepping into an extended time of seeking the Lord. My life was alive and my relationship with the Lord was growing hotter.

As I thought about what I needed to do before I left the house today, my mind wandered to 1995; to a different conference that was held at the same church where today’s conference was being held. During that time sixteen years ago, I was deeply impacted and my love for the Lord was also growing hotter.

That day in September, my “spiritual temperature” felt as though it was thirty six degrees; how had I become so cold so quickly?
I still loved Him and was grateful for what He had done in my life, but my passion for the Lord had become colder. How had I become so entropic?

Entropy refers to the degree of disorder in a system. As energy is transferred from one form to another, some is lost as heat. As the energy decreases, there is disorder in the system; and thus the entropy; increases. And, everything goes from order to disorder; from hot to cold. In other words, everything eventually deteriorates and wears out. 

What it forces me to realize that I can NOT go perpetually on one experience (or two or three for that matter). As disheartening as this may sound, I believe that this may be how God set it up to be; at least in our time on the earth since man chose to go against God’s plan when Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden. (Read Genesis chapter 3 in the Bible).

We need Him, more than we may realize, on a daily basis even more than we need food and water; and, moment by moment, more than we need oxygen to breathe. He is our total resource for EVERYTHING; and that includes being able to walk out the life of a Christian that is warm and “on fire” (“Christianos” in the Greek. a Christian, that is, follower of Christ)

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (John 15:4-5)

 

He started this and He will complete it (“being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;” (Philippians 1:6)

He will come and show you what you need to stop doing (sin) and what to start doing so that your walk will be pleasing to God  “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me” (John 16:7-9)

 Looking to get warm towards God? Call Toll-Free: 1-877-2GRAHAM (1-877-247-2426) Call between 7:00 a.m. and Midnight Eastern Time  or Call 1-888-NEED-HIM 

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."


1 comment:

  1. We are nothing without God. He is our help and salvation. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete