Jun 10, 2011

It would help if it was plugged in…

One of the things that I love to do is mow the lawn, and one month ago grass cutting season was finally upon us here in Minnesota. My lawn mower was ready for a new season of use; all of its parts were cleaned and in top form including new oil, a sharpened new blade, and a new spark plug, and a fresh tank of gasoline. And so I proceeded to cut the lawn.  

I primed the engine and gave the cord a pull and IMMEDIATELY the engine fired up. This is the way that lawn cutting is supposed to be! I spent the next half-hour leisurely cutting my lawn, enjoying the moments to be alone with my thoughts; "interrupted" only by someone waving to me as they drove by my house. When I was finished, I stood back and enjoyed my accomplishments. 

I also noticed that my next door neighbor hadn’t gotten around to cutting her lawn yet. I used to occasionally cut the lawn when her father lived there so I offered to cut the lawn for her; and she promptly accepted my offer. I primed the engine and gave the cord a pull and IMMEDIATELY the engine fired up. This is the way that lawn cutting is supposed to be! I spent the next few moments cutting my neighbor’s lawn enjoying the moments to be alone with my thoughts; interrupted by the sudden silence of the lawn mower suddenly stopping.  

I assumed it was out of gasoline so I went to retrieve the gas can; only to find that there was still fuel from when I had filled it earlier in the day. I tried several more times to start the engine by priming the engine and pulling the cord; but with no success. Eventually I discovered what was wrong; the spark plug cord was not connected to the spark plug. Apparently, I had knocked it off when I was mowing under my neighbor’s swing set. I said to myself; “It would help if it was plugged in…”

Without the connection between the spark plug and the spark plug wire, ignition wasn’t going to take place. There had to be the correct connection in order for the power to flow. The engine needed to be connected to the power source in order for there to be ignition.

Have you ever read the Bible and wondered why it didn’t make sense? I don’t mean the pondering of questions like; “Did Adam have a navel?”; I mean that when you read it, there seemed to no real life or application and so the Bible becomes a boring book to take or leave. I say that it would help if you were plugged in; to the Author of the Bible. 

The Apostle Paul writing to a church in Corinth (Greece) wrote; “The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.” (2 Corinthians 2:14)

It would help if it was plugged in… There has to be the correct connection between the Author of the Bible and us, the readers, in order for the power to flow. We need to be connected to the power source in order for there to be ignition. 

Simply put, we need the Holy Spirit to understand the things of God. It is the Holy Spirit that testifies to the truth of God's message and the response of a man's heart. It will be impossible for anyone one to understand and appreciate matters that relate to God without the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said; “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.” (John 15:4-6)

Over 2000 years ago, disciples of Jesus Christ were given the gift of the Holy Spirit (John 20:21-23 and Acts 2:1-4). As longs as they were connected to the source of power, real ministry took place. 

During this time of year when the Church celebrates Pentecost (The Christian festival celebrating the descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples of Jesus after His Ascension, held on the seventh Sunday after Easter), it is a good time to ask yourself if you, too, have been “plugged in” to the source of power, or are you still “pulling the cord; but with no success”. 

Today, today you, too, can receive the gift of the Holy Spirit by simply asking.  Jesus said; “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (Read Luke 11:10-13).

“And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.” (John 16:8-11)

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."



No comments:

Post a Comment