Jun 16, 2011

AWAKEN ME

The Stanley Cup Games are over. Congratulations to Boston and Vancouver on a great series. I’m happy that Boston won only because I picked them to win; even though they aren’t my team. I went with one of the “Original Six” teams two years in a row.

Last year when the series got down to the “Sweet Sixteen”, I wanted Chicago to play Philadelphia in the finals. I picked Chicago over Philadelphia, but I would have been just as happy if the Flyers had won; as long as the series went seven games.

This year when the series got down to the “Sweet Sixteen”, I wanted Boston to play Vancouver in the finals. I picked Boston over Vancouver, but I would have been just as happy if Vancouver had won; as long as the series went seven games.

It was a great series; the way playoffs should go. The games that Vancouver won were close and could have gone either way if not for great goal tending and great defense. Boston defied the odds to win in one of the best finals series in years. Three of their four playoff rounds went the full distance of seven games and they came from 2-0 behind in the finals to beat the Canucks, who were favorites to win after finishing the regular season with the NHL's best record.

It was really great to hear the Vancouver fans cheer for Tim Thomas when he held up the Conn Smythe Award and cheer for Tim Thomas and Milan Lucic when each of them held up the Stanley Cup.
However, it was very disappointing to hear the boos ring out inside the stadium when Bettmann presented the cup to Chara and for the riots and violence that erupted on the streets of Vancouver by Vancouver fans

The loss for Vancouver and its fans is a heartache that won't go away for a while.  Many of the Vancouver fans are probably saying something along the lines of: “Then I said, 'I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and in vain…" (Isaiah 49:4a). Perhaps this comes from feeling as though all there is in this life is some temporary award to strive for.

But the rest of that passage goes on to say: “yet surely my just reward is with the LORD, and my work with my God.'” (Isaiah 49:4b). We feel deflated when we lose our eternal perspective; YES, THERE IS MORE TO THIS LIFE THAN A TEMPORAL REWARD!

Our problem is that we have temporal eyes fixed on a prize that is really temporal and has lulled us to sleep. When we spend our time with temporal things instead of spending time with Him, there is a pretty good chance that we will come up feeling “not quite full”. We need to have the Lord awaken us and remind us of that there is more to this life.

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."



“AWAKEN ME” by MISTY EDWARDS
NOTE: This song was done live and spontaneous and I couldn’t find the actual lyrics online

Forgive me for neglecting Your heart
Forgive me for neglecting mine
Forgive me for my busy life
Forgive me for wasting time

Forgive me for neglecting Your heart
Forgive me for neglecting mine
For I am dark from working in the vineyard
But my heart I have forgotten

Just put Your hand upon my heart
Put Your hand upon my heart
Please put Your hand upon my heart
I want to feel

Just let me know that I’m alive
Let me know that I’m alive
Let me know that I’m alive
I want to feel

Take away the dullness
Take away a proneness to boredom
Take away my wandering spirit
Tame this wild soul

Fascinate me and captivate me
Come and own me like you do
Capture this imagination
Capture my affections too

No comments:

Post a Comment