Jan 7, 2011

Look At Me

This past Christmas season, Cathy and our children and I were able to gather on many occasions to spend time together making cookies, eating, playing games, loving, and a whole lot of time laughing (and eating some more).

During our many family gatherings I got to be both a dad and a grandfather. One of the joys of being a grandfather (there are many) is the joy of simply holding a child and looking into the child’s face.

As I have said before, I love children because they seem to like me and let me know it. I think that children see through all of my masks and use their superpowers to melt my suit of armor, and let me know that my secret identity has been discovered; that beneath my hard-shell I really am a nice guy who likes people; especially kids.

This past Christmas season I watched as my granddaughter Fallon turned to find her mom or dad’s voice when someone else was holding her (Fallon was 6 weeks old at Christmas). As I sat and held Fallon and looked into her eyes, I longed (or expected) her to respond to the sound of my voice. I forgot about how really long it takes for a new child to make connection with another person.

I didn’t want to have to wait for this one to turn at the sound of my voice. I wanted Fallon (almost from the womb) to know me as her grandfather. I felt the longing of my heart to be known by this young child; “Hey, look at me! I’m here! Don’t you know who I am?”

I long to hold her and love her and find out who she is as a person. It’s funny; even as my own children have become adults I still love to hold each of them and love each of them and learn who they are. I’m still amazed at who each of my children have become; their beauty, their wisdom, and their great laughter.

In the meantime, I treasure the times that I can hold my granddaughter and gaze at her. I sit at times and stare at photographs of her trying to connect. And I wait; wait until Fallon is older and realizes her need for me. Wait until Fallon can focus on me with her eyes and her ears. Wait; simply wait is what I have to do. 

As much as I long to be known by my granddaughter (and each of my children!), I realize that God, our Heavenly Father, longs so much more for me (and you as well). God was the initiator of the relationship. “Hey, look at me! I’m here! Don’t you know who I am?”

God didn’t wait for us to come to Him; He made the first move. You can read about God’s attempt to love on us in the Bible from the book of Genesis thru the book of Revelations.

The Bible said that God “demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8) 

Jeremiah 31:3 says; “The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying: "Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you.”

How about you? Do you know this Heavenly father? Have you responded to His voice calling out to you saying; “Hey, look at me! I’m here! Don’t you know who I am?” You can; today. He has already made the first move.

Want some help responding? Go to: http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/

No comments:

Post a Comment