Jan 28, 2011

Letters from Rosie



I came home from work the other day and found a pile of 8 handwritten letters on the countertop of our kitchen. All of the letters looked the same and appeared to be written from the same person. The letters, written on colored construction paper contained a simple message: 
“I love you”  - “I miss you” - “Here is my phone number” - “Here is a story I wrote for you”. 

I asked my wife Cathy where the letters were from. “Rosie” (not her real name); she said; “she is one of the students at my school”.

Note: Cathy works at a school that helps young adults with disabilities to become confident, responsible, contributing members of their families and communities. It is a great school that assists special education students that are 18-21 years of age with the transition from high school to adulthood by providing training in life skills, work skills and social skills.

Cathy went on to tell me that each day, Rosie joyfully takes time to write 5-10 letters that will go to four to five different people. That’s 20-50 letters each day that contain the same simple message: “I love you” “I miss you” “Here is my phone number” “Here is a story I wrote for you”.

When Rosie has her letters completed, her fellow classmate “Ginger” (not her real name) laughs and laughs as she has a great time joyfully hand delivering the letters from Rosie to the unsuspecting recipients. 

Cathy loves to watch Rosie and Ginger working together to make the world a better place to be in. Rosie does her part by taking the time to communicate her love and her desire to be connected with each of the readers of the letters. She communicates that the recipient is missed by her and she has written this story to express her love.

Ginger does her part by simply being an ambassador for Rosie. Ginger’s role is not to write the notes, but to be the one who gets the privilege to make someone else’s’ day by delivering a letter from Rosie. And she does it with Joy; and the task makes her laugh. And the world is they live in is a better place.

God has written letters and stories in the pages more commonly known as the Bible. The letters and stories contain the same simple message: “I love you” “I miss you” “Here is my phone number” “Here is a story I wrote for you”. The letters are written to communicate God’s love and His desire to be connected with each of the readers of the letters. God communicates that the recipient is missed by Him and that He has written this story to express His love.

Have you received your letter yet? If not, it may be because the Gingers of this world have not delivered the letters to you. They haven’t done their part by simply being an ambassador for God; to be the one who gets the privilege to make someone else’s day by delivering a letter from God. It may be because when you got your letter it wasn’t delivered with joy and laughter, but rather was delivered with judgment and criticism. It may be because you haven’t taken the time to open up and read these letters from God.

The letters and stories are still waiting for you. Take time to open up and read the Bible cover-to-cover for yourself to read what God is saying – to you. Don’t just accept someone else telling you what they heard somebody else say the Bible says; read it for yourself. 

You will discover for yourself love letters and stories written for you that have the same simple message: “I love you” “I miss you” “Here is my phone number” “Here is a story I wrote for you”. And the world you live in will be a better place.

Need help reading His letters?

Call either: 

1-888-NEED HIM

or 1-877-2GRAHAM

Someone is waiting to talk with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment