May 9, 2010

ONE WORD

When disaster strikes, people often ask; “If God is such a loving god then how come He allows such bad things to happen?” Usually this type of question leads to blaming God for all the wickedness in the world and assumes that man is basically good.   

I’ll admit that I too have a lot of questions when I look at the world around me; especially through the eyes of the various forms of the media at our disposal. Often times, this sort of questioning leads me to dead end ponderings, not fruitful answers. 

In return I would also submit a question in light of how evil man can be to one another; “If God is such a loving god then why does He not allow MORE bad things to happen?” Look at the number of plots to blown up bombs that have been intercepted and stopped in recent years; one just last week in New York.  

When I look at the world around me through the eyes of the Bible I wonder; “Since God is all powerful, why does He continue to love us in spite of how we reject Him and do whatever we want to do?” No human love is that strong. No human love can be compared to how much God continues to love us and have mercy on us and is faithful to us. One word describes God; He’s “FAITHFUL”.  

God’s faithfulness isn’t based upon our faithfulness to Him. “If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.” (2 Timothy 2:13). This verse reminds me of how a flower can push itself through the hard asphalt pavement to reach the sunshine. In spite of what we choose to destroy, God’s faithfulness continues to push through to us. In spite of what we do He’s Faithful! No matter what we continue to do in legislating and making up our own laws that contradict God’s laws, He still remains faithful. Faithful to provide rain, and snow, and water, and seasons that produce food and plants that we need for life.   

The Bible is filled with stories and verses that speak of His faithfulness; among them:  

"Therefore know that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments;” (Deuteronomy 7:9) 

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews 10:23) 

“But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.” (2 Thessalonians 3:3)

“He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.”(1 Thessalonians 5:24) 

“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13) 

“God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:9)  

One of my personal favorite verses in the Bible that talks about God’s faithfulness is 1John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  

If you still don’t see God as being “faithful”, it may be because all of the representations you have seen of God have been wrong. If something bad happens, we blame God. (Why don’t we always give Him credit when something good happens?)  

In God’s faithfulness to mankind He sent Jesus to show people who He really is. Jesus said to Philip (one of His twelve disciples), "He who has seen Me has seen the Father;” (John 14:9). If you want to know how the Father acts, treats, speaks, cares, and has mercy on people; look at the life of Jesus as recorded in the Bible.

READ the stories of Jesus; completely. In fact I would even challenge you to read the 4 gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, “cover-to-cover”; one at a time. Take time to read what Jesus did, said, how He reacted, cared, expressed love; knowing that Jesus is doing only what God His Father would do. And you too will see that He’s Faithful.   

“FAITHFUL”
When I was a boy
I opened my eyes
Looking for the hand
That moved the clouds across the sky
And in my simple way I believed
The one who turns the world around
Was reaching down for me

Chorus
And He's faithful
To take me through my darkest hour
Faithful 
I've felt His love, I've seen His power
And He's faithful 
Even when I'm not  
When I haven't got 
The strength of will to carry on 
He says, "lean on me and I'll be strong"
And He's faithful

Through the stormy days  
Of trouble and trials
I'm not afraid
To face the thunder and the fire 
The endless love of God 
It stays the same 
Faith is such a simple thing
And simple things don't change 

Chorus

Written by Randy Stonehill and giovanni audiori 
© 1990 stonehillian music/word music 
(a division of word, inc.)/ideola musicascap

No comments:

Post a Comment