May 1, 2010

The Gift of Touch

I am writing down my thoughts after a long day of physical labor; actually (almost) 24 hours of physical labor. I sit here with my muscles aching from using an ax to cut out an old tree along the cabin shoreline and from lifting large rocks and small boulders that needed to be relocated along the shore. My muscles are also sore from lifting a hide–a-bed couch and other furniture to move it from one apartment to another.  

Last night I helped one of my daughters move into a different apartment. Today, I spent the day with the extended family up at the (family) cabin getting it ready for another summer by doing chores such as turning on the water, cleaning up the yard, putting in the dock, and stabilizing the shoreline. Then, after unloading the car when I returned from the cabin, I cut the grass at my own house. 

Both days required physical strength and endurance. Both days I had been short sleep and yet I found the strength to do the chores because of family members eagerly lending a hand to get the tasks completed. The famous English playwright and poet John Heywood (1497-1580) said; “Many hands make light work.”  

And now I sit and ponder and write my weekly blog wondering where it will go. As my muscles ache I also wonder why I go to the gym several nights of the week to lift weights! Then it came to me; sometimes all we need is a hug. 

I’ve been very busy lately; my days seem to start very early and end very late 7 days a week as I go from task to task. Sitting here I realized how often this past week I have received the gift of a touch or a hug from someone else; without merit. I realized what a great gift it is to have people in my life who come to me to offer a hug or a touch or some other form of affection.   

I thought of all of the times throughout my busy week how my children, my wife, family members, and people at church came to me to show me that they loved me by the simply gift of a touch. This gift came to me when I was coming and when I was going as these people CHOSE to come to ME and to say; “Hi, I want you to know that you are a part of my life and I want to show you some affection.” 

Sometimes all we need is a hug. The gift of touch can make all the difference as we go through our busy days. The gift of holding a baby and watching them smile back in non-judgment. I am overwhelmed as I realize that I have been the recipient of the gift of touch from nephews and nieces, from sister and brother-in-laws, from my own children, from my wife, and from so many people at church.   

This gift has made all of difference in the world between going through life and experiencing life. I sit here feeling new strength for the new tasks that lay ahead of me; strengthened by the gift of touch.   

So thank you to all who have reached out to me with you notes, words, and your encouragement. Thank you to all who have reached out to me with the gift of your touch. I am a better man because of each one of you.    

Sometimes all we need is a hug. So how about you; have you gone through this week feeling weak from no affection? You’ve been plugging into the wrong places and everything you’ve tried has left you hungry and empty and tired of going on. God has created a need in each of us to be in relationship with Him. There is a craving in all of us for nurture that comes from our Heavenly Father alone.   

Sometimes all we need is a hug. Some of you here today need a touch from God; our Heavenly Father. Call out to Him. The Bible says in Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” Psalm 103:13 As a father pities his children, So the LORD pities those who fear Him.” 2Corithians 6:18 says, “I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the LORD Almighty.”    

Need someone to talk to? Call 1-888-NEED-HIM (633-3446). Someone is waiting to talk to you.   

IF LOVE IS ALL WE’VE GOT Words and Music by Paul Overstreet and Phil Keaggy 

Sun comes up, sun goes down
And this whole world keeps spinning round  
And I thank God for the love I find in your eyes  

Every day I wake up to a miracle
And every night, the way you move me, it’s spiritual
I’m looking for the words to describe how I feel inside

Here I am looking out through eternity
By your side, this is where I’m supposed to be
If love is all we’ve got, then love is enough for me
We can dream, we can plan for a better day
If it comes, if it goes, it will be ok
If love is all we’ve got, then love is enough for me 

In the streets on my way through the marketplace
In a window a reflection reveals my face
A look I never knew, the joy of having you in my life

Here I am looking out through eternity
By your side, this is where I’m supposed to be
If love is all we’ve got, then love is enough for me
We can dream, we can plan for a better day
If it comes, if it goes, we will be ok
If love is all we’ve got, then love is enough for me

That’s what I’m living for
For me it’s enough,
‘Cause I’m not alone anymore

If love is all we’ve got
When I’m with you I’m feeling ok
If love is all we’ve got
We’ll always feel this way
If love is all we’ve got, then love is enough for me. 
If love is all we’ve got…….

No comments:

Post a Comment