Jan 9, 2020

Practicing His Presence

One of the hardest things most followers of Jesus Christ struggle with is resting fully on the promises of God. In other words, believing that when Jesus paid it all; HE PAID IT ALL!

“He made Christ who knew no sin to [judicially] be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we would become the righteousness of God [that is, we would be made acceptable to Him and placed in a right relationship with Him by His gracious lovingkindness].” (2 Corinthians 5:21)

We see this struggle as we try to spend time with God by just hanging with Him instead of doing anything for Him. We have to work at not working to be with Him.

Some tools such as daily scripture reading plans or devotionals can be helpful, but when getting through them to check a box becomes more important than just spending time with the Lord…then something is off.

Being with Him, resting in His presence takes practice; in other words, you are probably going to have to ask Him for His help to get you “there”.

Our flesh and religious notions think that the Lord is waiting for us to wow Him with our elaborate scripture memorization or elaborate prayers.

The Holy Spirit would tell us other wise and He is gently “shouting” to us to cease from our efforts to get “there”.

Brother Lawrence (1614-1691) wrote:
"...in the winter, seeing a tree stripped of its leaves, and considering that within a little time, the leaves would be renewed, and after that the flowers and fruit appear, he received a high view of the Providence and Power of GOD, which has never since been effaced from his soul."

I regard myself as the most wretched of all men, stinking and covered with sores, and as one who has committed all sorts of crimes against his King.

Overcome by remorse, I confess all my wickedness to Him, ask His pardon and abandon myself entirely to Him to do with as He will.

But this King, filled with goodness and mercy, far from chastising me, lovingly embraces me, makes me eat at His table, serves me with His own hands, gives me the keys of His treasures and treats me as His favorite.

He talks with me and is delighted with me in a thousand and one ways;

He forgives me and relieves me of my principle bad habits without talking about them; I beg Him to make me according to His heart and always the weaker and more despicable I see myself to be, the more beloved I am of God.”
― Brother Lawrence, The Practicing of the Presence of God

Being able to abide in the Presence of God is not just a theory, but is SO much more available to us here on earth than we could possibly imagine.

Jesus came to give us salvation, forgiveness, and life abundant; in all fullness including living with the indwelling presence of God.

It can start TODAY by simply stopping what you are doing and asking the Holy Spirit to teach you how to abide in His presence.

He will help you and you will discover how effortless it can be as you practice remaining in His presence.


All Scripture from Amplified Bible (AMP) Copyright © 2015 by The Lockman Foundation, La Habra, CA 90631. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment