Mar 17, 2016

squander

To waste, spend, or use (money, time, etc.) extravagantly or in a reckless and foolish manner…To allow (an opportunity) to pass or be lost.


It started out as a normal Saturday morning (without hockey)…I took time to generate a list of items or tasks that needed to be accomplished…The final cup of coffee was drunk and then it was off to the races to complete the items on the piece of paper. 


In time; I’m not sure how long, but distractions (and a mild case of ADD) took my mind and time in a different direction than what was on my “to-do” list and the next thing I realized it was dinner time and although most of list was checked off, I also observed that portions of my day were spent on amusement that was far away from the intended goals for the day.


While I do believe that recreation and amusement can really be a source of re-creating our minds, wills, and emotions; it can also be an excuse to squander what little time we have. In fact, have you noticed how we often look at misuse of time, money, or opportunities in hindsight?


After almost every defeat in a sporting event, someone will make a statement along the lines of; "The team squandered several good scoring chances…" as an explanation as to what their team should have done differently.


Simply put, they are saying that if the team had used every opportunity that they had in the correct way, then they wouldn’t have lost the game.


What about other areas of our own lives? If I hadn’t squandered my time on Saturday (or Sunday or Monday…) THEN…I could have accomplished so much more than I did.


If I had gone to that lecture or sermon instead of staying home, then my life would’ve been so much better. If I had saved instead of squandering my money….and so on and so on.


When properly analyzed, this kind of thinking can be used to make changes. Teams make adjustments and games are won. Savings accounts are started and finances get in order. Time is examined and priorities are once again established.


However, too much second guessing only leads to mental anguish and torment because of the regret and self-loathing.

So why am I writing this? We don’t know how much time, money, or how many opportunities we have until we look in the rear view mirror of life.


My hope is that this will cause you to at least look deep into your day; right now…STOP, and PONDER and ask yourself;

  • How did I spend the last five hours?
  • How did I spend the last five dollars?
  • How did I spend the last five opportunities?

Your answers may surprise you; perhaps even become the impetuous to make some changes for what happens next.

The Bible tells us that we have only so much time to live our lives:

“The days of our lives are seventy years;
And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.” (Psalm 90:10 NKJV)

Why wait until the only time, money, and opportunities you have are all gone and it’s time….?

No comments:

Post a Comment