Aug 6, 2015

And Then There Was Five

Great news came this past week; our fifth grandchild was born! I took a phone call at 6:05 in the morning and playfully asked my daughter why she was waking us up so early. Truth is that she knows that both Cathy and I are early risers and that we, too, were anticipating the call.

I handed the phone to Cathy who got all of the details. Since they wanted some time for just the three of them (mom, dad, and baby), I made a decision to go into my office sixteen miles away and work there until I got the call to come home (sixteen miles away) so that we could make the one hundred and fifty four mile trip up north to the hospital in Duluth, Minnesota where the happy couple was. 

Cathy and I spent some time with them, took in some of the sites, had dinner, and then made the one hundred and fifty four mile trip back home. What a great way to spend the day!

My new grandson’s name is Rowan James, born to my second daughter and her husband. And I am so very happy!

I’m happy because once again I get a chance to watch a new child experience life for the first time.

And I can’t wait to get started! There are so many new things to experience with this boy; so many places to explore and ponder with him as he spends time with me. So many new “firsts” as he learns to sit and walk and run and swing and fish and…. 

I am excited to find out who he is and what he likes. I am hopeful that since his dad played hockey, there is a good chance that this one, too, will play hockey. Hey it’s in his genes; or should I say “breezers”?

As I write this I realize that I am so very grateful that I was able to be at the hospital right after each of my five grandchildren were born; something that I don’t take for granted because I realize that each of my children made a choice to include me in this precious moment of their lives. 

At the time of this writing, Cathy and I have been married together for over 34 years. We have six adult children, two daughters-in-law, two sons-in-law, one granddaughter, and four grandsons. That’s seventeen of us including Cathy and me (and a few more when you add in the ones who are dating). I would say that we have quite a FULL quiver!

And so I sit and ponder just how good the Lord has been to me. And I am so very grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment