Nov 13, 2014

327 Days


“Hey look what you are doing!”; a co-worker exclaimed to me as I looked at him somewhat confused, not sure what he was referring to.
 
I recalled the last thing that I had been doing and realized that he had referred to me reaching up on a shelf to grab something. I had gotten so lost in our conversation that I hadn’t really realized the significance of what I had done.
 
I had simply reached up and grabbed something off of shelf and handed it to him. No big deal, right? For most people that activity would be no big deal, but for me it was. In fact later in the afternoon I even showed my wife what I could do, and she gave no real response until she thought about it. Truly it was a day to rejoice.
 
You see, it had been 327 days since I had last lifted my left hand over my head. I had torn the labrum in my left shoulder and could not lift my hand over my shoulder even after surgery.
 
And, it had been 327 days since the last time my shoulder felt good. I had been in constant pain; so much that ice packs and Ibuprofen were my constant companions. It had been 327 days of learning to see the best and to give thanks God for what DID work in my body as I waited until the day when once again my body would work “as it should”.
 
I’ll admit that for some of the 327 days it was hard for me to accept my condition as it prevented me from being able to do things like shovel, or get dressed, or lift things for myself. And way too long since I had played hockey!
 
I’ll admit that for some of the Sunday mornings, it was kind of hard for me (as both a Christian and as a pastor) to sit in the front row of a church that at times lifts their hands up as a form of worship; especially when someone would exhort us all to lift up our hands. I actually had to remind myself several times that we are saved by grace; not works.
 
But here we are, 327 days later, and I am able to raise my hand over my head; I am able to do some of the things that I used to do. And the rest, well, I remind myself of so many who are permanently injured and thank God for what I can do.
 
So today, I am writing this to “build an altar” of thanksgiving to the Lord so that I can remember it. Because, in time, I will forget that it took 327 days to get to this point and soon I will take my ability to lift my hand over my head for granted.
 
I am also writing this to bring hope to you who are still suffering and waiting for your healing (physical, emotional, spiritual, etc.) to continue to press forward in hope as you, too, wait for your time of restoration.
 
Your story isn’t over yet! The One who made you hasn’t set down the pen and published your story; He is still working in your life to show who He is to those in your life who also need encouragement!
 
Today is another day to remind yourself to wait upon the One who made you. “But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)
 
Today, even today, you can still find other ways to “lift your hands” and remind yourself of who He is and what DOES work in your body (and your life).
 
Yes, it is a matter of choice! “Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.” (Psalm 63:4) 
 
So, “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.” (Psalm 43:5)
 
Soon, you too, will have someone come up to you and say; “Hey look what you are doing!”
 
All scripture is New King James Version (NKJV)
The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment