Jul 10, 2014

Recipe Box for My Girls





It was a birthday party for one of my grandsons and I went into the kitchen of his dad and mom’s house to get something to drink. While in the kitchen, I saw an old recipe box that I had made many years before. My daughter still was using the old box.




I had seen this when I had visited my other daughters’ homes or apartments as well. It was a nice surprise for me to see the old recipe boxes; partially because I hadn’t been looking for them and they caught my attention by surprise. My mind remembered the day I had made them.


When my four daughters were younger, I decided to make them each a recipe box as gift, a keepsake to use to store their favorite recipes. I made each of the girls one as a reminder of my love for them.
 
(NOTE: Yes, I also made one for each of my two sons. Their recipe boxes were made of cherry and hand-carved with their initials along with their wives initials)
 
For each of the girls I wanted to make each recipe box unique; a special reflection of my love for them, so I set out to search for ideas as well as the wood that I would need.
 
While pondering ideas in my workshop, an old shipping crate caught my attention. It was old and weathered and large enough to provide the material that I would need to make all four boxes
 
Each of the recipe boxes would be made from the same crate. Besides the fact that it would be practical and would supply my material needs, I wanted to remind them that they all had the same set of parents and that they were connected; a part of something bigger than just them.
 
Even though the same crate would be used, each recipe box would still be made unique; much like each of my four daughters are. Some of the recipe boxes would have writing from a grease pen setting the destination of the crate; others would have parts of the shipping label.
 
The side of the crate had writing on it that said;

I was able use the side of the crate to make all four of the box covers. The idea of using one cover was that when all four recipe boxes were placed side by side they would make up the side again. I added a photograph (of what all four look like when they are all together) inside of all four recipe boxes.
 
Each of my daughters are one in a million; unique, gifted.
 
Each of my daughters is a blessing to me.
 
Each, like their individual recipe boxes, are loved and cherished by me as their earthly father.
 
I love you girls!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment