May 15, 2014

Survival is not always the Fittest


"Survive" usually implies there was some threat to continued living, even if metaphorical. It implies that we press through and press on as though we are being asked a question as to whether or not we will make it.
 
Inspired by Gloria Gaynor’s song we shout out; “I will survive!”

And so we use our strength and fortitude as we endure through an affliction, adversity, misery, etc. even if it means we fake it as though the goal was just to “get through it”.
 
I like the way that Chris Nilan, former NHL great puts it;
“I’ve used so many things as survival techniques. I don’t want to survive; I want to live!” (see below for his video)
 
I REALLY like that! It is like saying: 
STOP! I’M ADMITTING THAT I’M JUST GETTING THROUGH MY DAYS WHITE KNUCKLING IT WITHOUT REALLY DEALING WITH MY PAIN!
 
I say “good job” for hanging in there when others would have thrown in the towel; but are you really living life to the fullest?
 
Jesus calls out to us to come to Him for real life; not some new survival technique. I love how Eugene Peterson translates Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG):
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
 
Jesus doesn’t want us to “just get through” this experience on this earth; He came that we could have real and eternal life, more and better life than we could ever dream of.
 
Jesus says; “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10b NKJV)
 
Isn’t it time to admit that what you have been doing just to survive hasn’t really been bringing you life and come to the True source of Life?
 
And I figure that if someone as strong as Chris Nilan can admit it, so can the rest of us. And with that admission we can finally get help; real help to deal with the real pains and finally LIVE; not just survive!
 
Need further help? Someone is waiting to talk with you. Call either:
1-888-NEED HIM  or  1-877-2GRAHAM (1-877-247-2426).
 
Freedom from Addiction: 612-Freedom (612-373-3366)
 
"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."
 
Scripture taken from The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment