Nov 22, 2012

Sitting in Dad's Office

I’ve had many offices over the years, located both in and outside of my home. When I’ve had my office outside of my house and my children were young, Cathy would sometimes bring them to my office along with a meal because I would be working late.

When they were older and able to drive, I loved it when my children would call me and ask if I was busy because they needed to stop by or better yet, when they would stop by unannounced. I loved it when we would meet because they needed something printed or because they wanted to show me something or simply because they brought coffee for me! What joy it was that I could show them what I was working on or to introduce them to a co-worker or a client.

One of the great joys of having an office at home is when my children were young was when they would stop in and sit in my lap because they wanted to be held. I really loved it, especially when I was meeting a couple who was going through a rough time; they brought a new prospective to the situation as only a child can.
 
Currently, Cathy and I share an office together on the third floor of our house. It has been a great space to gather, study, and seek God. The space includes an office area, a small library, and a meeting area that can easily seat 9 people. One of my daughters told me that there is still more space that we are not using. My biggest “problem” with the space is that because it is a comfortable space, people have a hard time leaving once they stop in. Someone told me that the office feels like a Caribou coffee shop (which he said was a good thing) and we do serve great coffee!

Even today, as adults, my children will stop over to my house and come see me in my office. Sometimes they need something or to use my computer. Other times they have stopped upstairs to my office to simply let me know that they had stopped by to pick up mail and wanted to say “Hi” to me and will give me a hug!

This “tradition”, this joy, is now onto the next generation as my granddaughter Fallon will request to go upstairs to my office so that she can color with my markers or sit at my desk and watch “Tales” as she calls them (Veggie Tales). I love to watch her as she goes from area to area and picks up items (my shelves are filled with an eclectic items that I picked up or gifts given by others over the years).

My children know that they are free to stop in and spend time with me without having to call ahead or set an appointment or “permission”. This was brought home for me recently. Cathy and I were like two ships passing in the night due to our busy schedules and we had one hour to catch up with each other and were sitting in our office drinking coffee or tea. She had been gone for three days and I was about to leave for a meeting at church and then would be gone for two days at a pastors’ retreat.

We were sitting and talking when we heard someone coming up the stairs. It was one of my daughters who came upstairs with a cup of tea and proceeded to sit at my desk so that she could use the computer. I love it that she knows that she can do this without “permission” or an appointment; that she knows that “me casa tu casa”! She knows that she has an open invitation to use something that I have or to simply hang with her dad.

Do you know that God has that same policy with you? Do you know that you are free to stop in and spend time with Him without having to call ahead or set an appointment or “permission”? Do you know that when take Him up on His offer to spend time sitting in Dad’s office that it bring great joy to Him just like my children bring to me when they hang with me? He wants us to come to Him; His office is always open. The Bible says;

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:28-29)

“For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:15-16)

 “But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:14)

Come. Sit. Rest. Hang and sit in Dad’s office. Take time to hear Him say to you;

 Be still, and know that I am God…” (Psalm 46:10a)

 
"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment