Aug 30, 2012

Long, long way from home

When I am on a long road trip, I like to get to where I am going with no delays. The idea of stopping to use the restrooms or look at the roadside attractions usually doesn’t fit into my travel plans.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy the journey; I really do. I enjoy seeing new places and faces and am one of those people who like to read road signs along the way. When I travel, I like to use the time to listen to teaching tapes, or music, or get into a great conversation with a friend; not stop at every place that crosses my path.

I enjoy sitting with uninterrupted time; it was one of the things I enjoyed doing with my father-in-law when he was alive. The two of us spent many hours in a vehicle back and forth to the family cabin while it was under construction.

But, when I am on a long road trip, I like to get to where I am going with no delays. This sprang up for me recently; I had been on a lot of road trips for family, vacation, and ministry. “We are leaving in five minutes”; I will tell fellow traveling companions. “Use the bathroom now because we aren’t stopping until we get there!” The goal has been set; get to the destination.

And, with each trip, the goal was still the same; get to wherever I needed to get in the shortest amount of time. And yet, with each trip there were “delays” such as a flat tire on a friend’s trailer, as well as traveling with people who needed to use the restroom or to fill their vehicle up with gasoline. Really; you would think that with all of our technology they could make a 16-passenger van that could drive over 400 miles and not have to stop for gas and that people could “hold-it” for six to seven hours while consuming large amounts of beverages!

There is something in me that is not content with being in between where I am at and where I am going; something that reminds me that I am not there yet. This has always been true for my life and I know that it may drive some people a little nuts.

This is especially true when I am heading back home. I long to be at the place where I am supposed to be; “home”. Simply put, I am a long, long way from my home and I won’t be fully content until I arrive. I find myself maneuvering a vehicle over and through all obstacles like an Indy 500 driver racing towards the checkered flag at the end of a long race.

I think that part of the reason that I long for home when I am on the road is because I really long to be with those whom I love; especially Cathy if I am traveling without her. I also very much miss hearing and seeing all of my children and grandchildren.

I think that part of the reason that I long for home when I am on the road is because eternity has been set in my heart (Ecclesiastes 3:11a). Simply put, I am a long, long way from my home and I won’t be fully content until I arrive. I've been a pilgrim on this earth since the day of my birth. I'm a long, long way from my home...

The Apostle Paul reminds us that our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20)





No comments:

Post a Comment