Jan 26, 2012

Lost in the Belly of a Whale

When we feel stuck, trapped, or paused with seemingly nowhere to go, it’s not a great place to be. Rarely would any of us want to be in a place (job, relationship, etc) that seems to be going nowhere. And when we get into those times in our life we want to get out of them QUICKLY! I certainly do! I don’t even like it when my feet get stuck under the covers when the sheets are too tight!

In fact, very few of us would put on our “bucket list” that we want to get stuck in the situations we find ourselves in such as stuck in an elevator between floors; or in a bad marriage or job feeling trapped; paused with seemingly nowhere to go… 


Most of us when we are stuck, trapped, paused with seemingly nowhere to go look for the “reset” button so that we can get things moving again. It definitely was not part of the path we thought that we would take as part of our five-year plan.

We easily identify with King David when he wrote;

How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?” (Psalm 13:1-2)

Simply put; WE DON’T LIKE IT AND WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH, AND WE WANT TO MOVE ON! THIS IS NOT THE UTOPIA THAT WE IMAGINED!

David continued in Psalm 13;

“Consider and hear me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed against him”;  Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.” (Psalm 13:3-4) 

And yet, when we grip reality (not utopia) we will come to discover that life is full of pauses; times where we have opportunities to feel stuck and trapped with nowhere to go.

I say opportunities because they need not always be places that we need to struggle to get out of. When we learn to embrace them, they can be places of great provision and rest and comfort as we wait for the movement that we so long for.

Although it may be very difficult to see the place where you find yourself today as providential, it can be a great place to be when you keep your eyes upon God and trust in His mercy knowing that He WILL provide. 

David continues in Psalm 13;

“But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.” (Psalm 13:5-6)

Even in the story of Jonah we can see the great provision of God. The Bible records;

“Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.” – (Jonah 1:17) 

Did you catch that? It says that “the Lord prepared”. The Hebrew word there means; A primitive root; properly to weigh out; by implication to allot or constitute officially; also to enumerate or enroll: - appoint, count, number, prepare, set, tell.” 

My friend, although your circumstances may be very different than anything that I have ever experienced, I want you to know one thing that we hold in common: We both have a God who is passionately in love with us. He wants us to know that He DOES care what you are going through and where you are currently at.

And more than just changing your external situation (and He wants to and will), He wants to change the internal part of you that is really looking for contentment and peace as you struggle to make sense of your current situation.  

He is waiting for you to respond to His mercy and grace that has already been extended to you through Jesus Christ. And you can; today. And it can make all the difference in the world as you spend this season of your life seemingly lost in the belly of a whale.

Need further help? Someone is waiting to talk with you. Call either:
1-888-NEED HIM  or  1-877-2GRAHAM (1-877-247-2426).




"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."


No comments:

Post a Comment