Nov 3, 2011

“Disappointment or His Appointment”

I love autumn in Minnesota!  Autumn (along with springtime) is a season of changes; radical changes! All around, the trees are changing from green to vibrant colors as a way of distracting us from the fact the temperatures are plummeting from the eighties towards the freezing mark.

Along with these changes come opportunities for disappointment as we ponder how we could have better used our summer and things we never got to instead of being grateful for what we DID do. 

I love autumn in Minnesota because during this time of year we spend our leisure time watching (pro and college) football and hockey, along with the World Series. Rivalries are brought out as we choose our team and make our boasts as to what will be the outcome of a season, a series, or even a single game.  

In a moment, hearts can be broken and lives can be changed forever with the outcome of a single game. Along with these changes come opportunities for disappointment for what could have been as trophies and “pink slips” are handed out; sometimes on the same day.   

Too many people spend their lives stuck on what could have been as they fail to fulfill the expectations or wishes of themselves or others for their lives. Too many live their lives frustrated by the defeat of the fulfillment of their hopes and plans and disappointment becomes the new focus of theirr existence.  

Singer and songwriter Phil Keaggy wrote; "Disappointment - His Appointment. Change one letter and you see that the thwarting of my purpose was His better plan for me." 

The Bible says; “A man’s heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.. (Proverbs 16:9 NJKV)” In other words, just because we planned some path for our lives, it may not go that way; God may have a different direction. And grasping this truth will make the difference between disappointment and “His”-appointment.  

"Disappointment - His Appointment. Change one letter and you see that the thwarting of my purpose was His better plan for me."  

Grasping this truth can change your perspective and can give an opportunity for anticipation of what God might be up to; rather than disappointment for how things appear to turned out.

The motivational speaker W. Mitchell says; "Before I was paralyzed, there were 10,000 things I could do. Now there are 9,000. I can either dwell on the 1,000 I lost, or focus on the 9,000 I have left. It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do about it”  

My friend, you don’t need to live your life weighed down by disappointment. Flexibility is about bending and adjusting with the changes that come our way. Being rigid can leave things broken (physically, relationally, emotionally…).  

Let’s choose wisely how we respond and stop the mental erosion by asking the Lord to open our eyes to see what He is doing.  

My friend, your story isn’t over yet!  My guess is that His plans are so much better than what you would have ever thought or planned. Let Jesus Christ change your story for HIS-story. The best is yet to come! 

"Disappointment - His Appointment. Change one letter and you see that the thwarting of my purpose was His better plan for me." 

Not sure where to start and need help? Call 1-888-NEED- HIM

Disappointment  By Phil Keaggy

Disappointment - His appointment,
Change one letter, then I see
That the thwarting of my purpose
Is God's better choice for me.

His appointment must be blessing
Though it may come in disguise
For the end from the beginning,
Open to His wisdom lies.

Disappointment - His appointment
Whose? The Lord's who loves best.
Understands and knows me fully,
Who my faith and love would test.

For like loving, earthy parent
He rejoices when He knows
That His child accepts unquestioned
All that from His wisdom flows.

Disappointment - His appointment
No good thing will he withhold
From denials oft we gather
Treasures from His love untold.

Well, He knows each broken purpose
Leads to fuller deeper trust
And the end of all His dealings
Proves our God is wise and just.

Disappointment - His appointment
Lord I take it then as such,
Like the clay in hands of potter
Yielding wholly to Thy touch

All my life's plan is Thy molding
Not one single choice be mine
Let me answer unrepining,
Father not my will but Thine.

Oldie but a good message....



No comments:

Post a Comment