Aug 11, 2011

All Things Must Come to an End

Summer is on its way out; fall will soon be here. It’s the ebb and flow of life. Eventually, all good things must come to an end. We all know this, and yet we live our lives as though they won’t ever end. And so, I believe, we have seasons to remind us that change is coming. One of my children reminded me that since June 21st, the days have been getting shorter. And soon it will be once again winter.  

Eventually, all good things must come to an end. This past spring I said “good bye” to an old friend, my Bauer Supreme Custom 100’s hockey skates. I replaced them with a new pair of Bauer Vapor X30.   
 
I had my Bauer Supreme Custom 100’s a long time; these skates had replaced my old tube-style skates that had served so faithfully over the previous years. I kept my Bauer Supreme Custom 100’s sharp, polished, replaced the laces, and even had the blades replaced with new ones when they were worn down past the point of sharpening. And now it was time to say goodbye.  

When I was getting the NEW Bauer Vapor X30 sharpened at the place I had gone to for so many years, the owners told me that I couldn’t throw the old Bauer Supreme Custom 100’s out because they were classics. (They were always nostalgic regarding my old skates because the same store had hooked Phil Housley up with his first pair of Bauer Supreme Custom 100’s back in 1980). So I took my old skates home and set them in a place of “honor” on a shelf in my office instead of in my hockey bag. 

Eventually, all good things must come to an end; I remember, many years ago when our children were younger and still lived at home, many nights that were spent preparing the outdoor ice in our backyard. Time spent installing boards to surround and frame our outdoor ice rink. I remember cold; bitterly cold nights when would hook up a garden hose to our bathtub and run it out the bathroom window and hook the other end of the hose to my Tomzonie. A “Tomzonie” is a hand-held mini “Zamboni” that I made to resurface our rink each night (and several times between skating).  

But, eventually, winter would give way to spring; the boards would be taken down and along with the nets put away in storage, as our ice rink would melt and turn to water that would flood our driveway. And once again spring would arrive with the hope of another summer. 

Eventually, all good things must come to an end; even the life we live here on the earth. So today, I point us to eternity; my friends, this is not all there is.

Enjoy the moments; cherish every one of them for soon we will be on to the next season of the year as well as the next season of life. The Bible tells us:


Ecclesiastes 3:1-9 “To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven: 2 A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted; 3 A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up; 4 A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance; 5 A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing; 6 A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away; 7 A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak; 8 A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace.9 What profit has the worker from that in which he labors? 10 I have seen the God-given task with which the sons of men are to be occupied.”

Revelation 21:1-3 "Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also, there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God."

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

IMPORTANT NOTE: Zamboni is a registered trademark of the Frank Zamboni Corporation, manufacturer of ice resurfacer machines http://www.zamboni.com





No comments:

Post a Comment