Jun 26, 2010

I went to the fights and a graduation broke out.

I love this time of year; actually in Minnesota I love all of the seasons. But this time of year is especially great because I can go to our garden and pick fresh produce. I went to my garden last night to help pick the raspberries and I had hockey on my brain.

Last week I helped out an organization called "DinoMights", an inner-city youth hockey program that each summer puts on a hockey camp called “Hockey in the Hood”. See below for more information on this great ministry.

It’s hot and sunny and nearly 90 degrees; so why would I be writing about hockey? Well, as I picked raspberries, I thought about how well the youth had treated each other in an environment that, in some circles, is known as “hockey always equals fighting”. But this was not the case. All week I watched how these youth, parents, staff, and coaches really brought out the best in each other.  

Today, however, I read an article online that reported that a brawl had erupted at a kindergarten graduation ceremony in California. The article said that the whole school was placed on lockdown after a fight involving 20 adults; ADULTS! The sheriffs on the scene ended up arresting two women (who were mothers of the children who were graduating!) after their argument got a little heated and some men jumped in and started the melee. It is rumored that there could be more arrests.

There is an old quote that goes; "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."

At a hockey game, although not necessary, players seem to think that they need to fight instead of just playing hockey. You go to the game and can almost “expect” that a fight may break out. But I’m not talking about a hockey game; this was a KINDERGARDEN GRADUATION Ceremony! You know what I mean; balloons, cards, cakes, and fisticufts(?) People; what is wrong with you? 

As I was driving down a road today on my way home from work, a driver on the road thought that it was totally acceptable to cut in front of me by making a left-hand turn right across my path (from an intersection at which he had a stop sign, I did not). I hit the brakes and my temperature went up as he mouthed to me; “Hey, what is your problem?” This was the fifth time today that someone cut me off in traffic.

Have we forgotten how to show courtesy and follow the rules as we drive our cars? Have we lost all civility as we get into brawls at kindergarten graduation ceremonies? People; what is wrong with us that we treat each other like this?

Actually, it shouldn’t surprise us that people treat one another this way. Jesus Christ prophesied that in the last days the "love of many would grow cold” (Matthew 24:12). 

The Apostle Paul wrote; “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! (2Tim. 3:1-5)

The Apostle John wrote; “If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also. (1 John 4:20-21) 

Jesus calls us to be different; to act differently, to love differently than what we read in the news. He wants us to love, not get into brawls. As this world continues to get crazier, let’s press into God to get the love that we will need to give to others. We need people who will be agents of change to this self-centered world. Let us be the ones of whom it is said; “They went to the fight and love broke out”.

“And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:12-14) 

Perhaps this is what the graduation ceremony looked like:

Here is a link to "Dinomights"
DinoMights uses a unique approach that is founded on mentoring relationships. Staff, coaches, and tutors all seek to share the love of God with DinoMights by actively loving them. Good News to urban youth is the opportunity to participate in a positive activity that can truly be a family for them. It is in this environment that they can come to know the great love of God. The four areas that they mentor in are: Developing Physical, Social, Academic, and Spiritual. http://www.dinomights.com/mission






No comments:

Post a Comment