Nov 14, 2009

Garlic on My Hands


I really enjoy eating and cooking with garlic. Along with toast, chocolate, coffee, hot peppers and spices it is a must staple in our daily diets; or at least mine.

However I don’t enjoy the smell that can linger on my fingers for days when I cut up garlic; I’m not sure too many of you do either. And, need I say anything about how after eating garlic; we can become hypersensitive to cover our mouths as though our hands are now a shield against this toxic emission. And even if you use a bottle of mouth wash, that garlic still finds a way to leech through your body. Sometimes this smell can seem to find its way to escape our bodies through our sweat gland, and those around us know that we have been eating garlic.

Ever notice how washing and scrubbing endlessly doesn’t remove the smell? You try scrubbing until your hands are raw and still days later you can smell it on your hands! Feeling bad about it doesn’t make it go away nor does promising to “do something good”. It is a consequence of a moment of pleasure that can affect all of those around us. It is in our skin and others around us smell it. It doesn’t “affect only me”.

There are many suggestions for getting rid of that garlic smell from our hands, but very few really work. Probably the best suggestion is to rub your hands against stainless steel after cutting garlic. The solution is simple, and yet for some reason we don’t seem to do what we know to do. Instead we search and try ideas, but they don’t work and still days later you can smell it on your hands!

I wish that we only did this when it came to garlic, but it is my observation that we try to deal with sin our lives the same way we deal with garlic on our hands. The solution is simple, and yet for some reason we don’t seem to do what we know to do. Ever notice how washing and scrubbing endlessly doesn’t remove the consequences of our sin? You try some religious ritual until your hands and knees are raw and still days later you can “smell it on your hands”! Feeling bad about it doesn’t make it go away nor does promising to “do something good”. It is a consequence of a moment of pleasure that can affect all of those around us. It is “in our skin” and others around us smell it. It doesn’t “affect only me”.

And, need I say anything about how after sinning we can become hypersensitive to cover our tracks as though our efforts are now a shield against this toxic emission ever coming into the light. In time our sin still finds a way to become known to those around us.

There are many suggestions for getting rid of sin in our lives, but very few really work. Probably the best suggestion is an old fashioned word; a biblical word called “confess” which means to acknowledge that what God calls sin is sin. The Bible says; “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1John 1:9 NKJV).

In other words, it means to admit with our own mouths to God that we blew it. No attempts at trying to “scrub” it away or to mask it are ever going to remove it. It will linger on you like garlic on your hands. Admit it; “God, YES, what you call sin I did. And I was wrong to do so.” The Bible also says that we are to confess what He did. He died for our sins so that we are forgiven.

“And these things we write to you that your joy may be full. This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.” (1John 1:4-10NKJV)

"Nothing But The Blood"
What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

For my cleansing this I see--
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
For my pardon this my plea--
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

Nothing can my sin erase
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
Naught of works, 'tis all of grace--
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

This is all my hope and peace--
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
This is all my righteousness--
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment