Aug 6, 2009

Who's Behind Your T-Shirt?

When I was driving to work today, I saw a man who was wearing older clothes and looked as though he may be low income or even homeless. The man was wearing a shirt that said; “I am Loyola College”. In a split second I made a quick judgment, if you will, of who this man was and who he represented.

 I know that isn’t right because I never got a chance to know who this man was or how he arrived at his current condition. And, I don’t know much about Loyola College; so be gracious with me if Loyola is your college.

But the first thought that went through my head was; “I wonder what the recruiting office for Loyola College would say if they saw this man waking around with their shirt on!” “This man was Loyola College? This was their ambassador who represented their college?”

I imagined the college politely offering to trade the man for a shirt that said something else like “I am Boston College”.

I imagined that alumni would be “horrified” to know that this man was their ambassador.

I amused myself by asking the question; “Is this is the lifestyle I could expect to have if I attended Loyola College?” And then I had another thought; “When people see me, who do they see?” I don’t think that we realize that we are representatives or “ambassadors” of our families, the company we work for, or the college or our church we attend that other people will ever see. I don’t think that we realize that we may be the only representatives or “ambassadors” of Jesus that other people will ever see.

The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 5:20 “Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.” (New King James Version) We are ambassadors for Christ.

Do others see Christ when they look at you? Do they see Christ, not your church or your particular denomination, but do they see Christ when they look at you?

I know that we are saved by grace, but I wonder if some days Jesus would like to politely offer to trade to get His t-shirt back from those who misrepresent Him.

It isn’t unusual for me to see fellow Christians (and that includes me) at times mis-representing Jesus.

It isn’t unusual for me to see people wearing crosses around their necks and seem to have no thought for what comes out of their mouths.

It isn’t unusual for me to see motorists that cut others off as they drive by too fast in their car that has a bumper that is covered with Christian bumper stickers.

It isn’t unusual for me to see frustrated Christians responding wrong to their spouses, their children, their bosses, their neighbors, their families; I think you get my point. Because we are ambassadors for Christ we need the Holy Spirit to work through us and to shine through us and fill us with the fullness of God so that we can truly represent Him to those around us.

It is my sincere prayer today; “17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:17-19 (New King James Version) In Jesus Name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment