Mar 26, 2009

Sitting in a Handbasket with no where to go...


Recently, I saw this bumper sticker on a car. I’m guessing that the owner installed it to make other drivers laugh.

And I’m sure that fellow drivers found the humor behind the message. But what if the owner really believed the message of the bumper sticker? It would be much funnier to me if there wasn’t any truth behind the cry of the heart of the one who originally made up the bumper sticker.

What if the owner of the car was just another “lemming” going through this world with no clue as to what this life is all about? “Lemmings” is a phrase that is often used in reference to people who go along with a popular opinion without questioning, which results sometimes in fatal or dangerous consequences.

Sometimes non-Christians throw out the message of Jesus Christ because it came to them packaged in one whose own life was filled with hypocrisy. On behalf of them, I want to apologize to you who sit in the handbasket searching for answers. Sometimes non-Christians throw out Christianity because they believe that there is no truth to the claims of Jesus Christ. “Good man and teacher”, they would say; “But not Savior and Lord…certainly not God”.

To those people I would say; “BUT WHAT IF IT IS TRUE?” What if who Jesus said He is and what He said and taught were true? What if He really is Savior and Lord, and God? What if in all of your questioning but never really waiting for answers you’ve missed the whole meaning of life?

Pretty sad to be sitting in a handbasket and not at least once trying to stand up and get out and go another direction. What if the reason that there are so many still sitting in the hand basket is because Christians have never shared their faith; the Gospel of Jesus Christ, with others?

Wow; people are looking for answers while the Christians keep silent, holding back sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. When Jesus saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion: Matthew 9:36–37 “But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest."

This pattern of compassion can be seen throughout the ministry of Jesus. He saw people's deepest need. He could see where they were hurting the most. He could look past the facade. He could hear the cry of their hearts. He saw them as sheep without a shepherd and had compassion

To my fellow Christians I ask: What about the people who don’t know what you know? What about the people who never had one sin forgiven? What about the people all across this city right now: Who are sitting at home RIGHT NOW thinking of killing themselves? Stuck in a handbasket with seemingly no where else to go?

This world is getting darker. Gross darkness the Prophet Isaiah said (Isaiah 60:2). We can’t put too much hope in politicians to solve this mess. The only hope for our world is a spiritual awakening through Jesus. It is quite possible that God has put you where you are at this moment for such a time as this. (Esther 4:14) We have got to get out there and make a difference.

God wants to use you. He has a place for you, a part for you to play, a seed for you to sow, a call for you to answer. You can and will make a difference– IF YOU LET GOD USE YOU.

Lord, use me in your mission. I will be a laborer. I don't know what I can do. I don't know what I can offer. I don't have a lot, Lord. But I give it to you. I'm just an ordinary person. But I offer my life to you; TODAY. Lord, it's not much, but it's yours. I give my life to you.

Here I am Lord, send me. Let God use you, and watch what God can do!

In Jesus Name, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment